IATRA questions

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Walker
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: IATRA questions

Post by Walker »

So Tim,
out of curiosity how do you think the majority of the sample questions from all the varying study material were originally derived? How do you think TC goes about deriving the question bank used on the exams?
Where exactly do you get the idea if questions are sold in a study package that they are kosher, but if someone suggests you brush off your Pythagorean therm before writing a test that has somehow crossed some significant moral/safety boundary? Because someone isn't making money on it?

I mean lets be honest here the questions people post on the internet (as the ones above) sure as hell aren't going to be what gets you through an exam, they are at best something to have a quick peruse through the night before. However that being said it is nice to see what those rascals in Ottawa are up to. If head office starts noticing a trend in a weak knowledge area you can bet your sweet bippy (where on earth did that term come from anyway?) questions relating to said topic are going to start showing up more often on the computer. It may take a while for the info to trickle down but I guarantee you some policy annalist in some office far far away is banking on just this method to help get the word out about ____.

I will agree with you one one thing, having unfettered access to the exam you are going to be writing IS cheating in my book. If someone sat down broke the network and programed the computer to only give you the questions you had previously downloaded, then yes that is cheating. But I mean really???? of all things in the world to get a feather up your nose about, THIS! is what your choosing as your battle colors? Someone saying what type of questions they were asked on an exam? Are you serious???

Tim wrote:
mcconnell14 wrote: DIVISION II - EXAMINATIONS
Examination Rules
400.02(1) Except as authorized by an invigilator, no person shall, or shall attempt to, in respect of a written examination,
(a) copy or remove from any place all or any portion of the text of the examination;
(b) give to or accept from any person a copy of all or any portion of the text of the examination;
This little tidbit of regulation (yes remember its regulation not law, they are different animals) is in place to discourage someone from say taking a picture of an exam as its being written. Now while TC would by all means slap you with the naughty stick if you pulled such a stunt (and I believe rightly so,) I suspect if you forced it into a court (and out of aviation system) it probably wouldn't get that far as these are only "protected" documents (prevents them from being released on an FOI request, with no applicable legal penalties to Joe Public)
Irrespective of that memorizing it then writing it down after the fact falls CLEARLY in the realm of freedom of speech. But lets call a spade a spade this is all splitting hairs; Tim..... no one gives a shit what you think

And to get things back on track here, yes outsider i just finished my ATPLs and the questions are pretty much identical to the Iatra material covered in Aerocource and Pros material.

Edit:
beat me to it Alternate!
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Walker on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Barney
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Barney »

Does anyone remember their ATPL questions.

4hrstovegas
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 4hrstovegas »

If you seriously think taking Aerocourse training is the same as listening to somebody say, "Hey, I just wrote exam serial XX-XXXX. Here are the questions, and here are the answers," you're on crack. And as for that sanctimonious crap about a court of law, get real. Law aside, do you need to be in court to realize that there is a problem? Because if somebody was found with a printout of this thread and had the audacity to sue TC for failing them, they should be ashamed. That's the laziest, most ridiculous thing I've read on this site. And for those so steadfast in their convictions, put your your money where your mouth is: walk in with an Aerocourse book in one hand and a printout of this thread in the other. Wave them in TC's face. Tell them you used this list of questions/answers. Read them the riot act on freedom of information and all the rest of the BS. Threaten to sue. See what happens. You know why you won't? Because beneath all your anonymous ranting and lazy mouthing, you know you would rightly have your ass handed to you.

Forget about everything else; here's an easy moral compass. Do you think writing an exam is to get you to open a book and read certain material, or to challenge your ability to study a list of answers. Simple question. Because the fact is, if you need this list of questions to pass the IATRA, you're a f**kin idiot.

And as for the moderators who allow this: by posting threads like this (and it's a year old, people), you're making a mockery of those of us who actually worked for what we have. One or two posters is bad enough... you people allowing it to spread are the real disgrace.

Success flourishes only in perseverance -- ceaseless, restless perseverance. -The Red Baron
alternate_law
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by alternate_law »

This will be last post on the subject, but I do want to clarify. As someone who has been to an aerocourse IFR course, I can attest to the fact that it is an awesome course with first rate instructors. You will learn a lot and you are correct in saying that it is in no way the same as just looking through some questions and saying "good to go". That said, if you don't think there is a whole lot of "you will see this question on your exam and the answer you're looking for is.." going on at these courses, you are wrong and that is all I meant.

I don't think anyone is suggesting you only look at what is posted here. You should use the TC study guide, study the concepts and go though the aerocourse book cover to cover and other sample questions to make sure you are up to speed answering questions in the manner TC likes to ask them.

4hrstovegas
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 4hrstovegas »

Agreed.

Success flourishes only in perseverance -- ceaseless, restless perseverance. -The Red Baron
jimmy north
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by jimmy north »

Wrote the test today, a couple questions from the thread here and a couple i wasn't expecting:
- Describe a Volmet
-What is the use of a MEL
- for flights above a certain altitude crew members need training on hypoxia...
-regs for flight over water
-wind shear recovery techniques, answers had to do with stick shakers.
- requirements for starting a new journey log

Couple others too! Can't remember rite now though

Test was #9

BankAngle1987
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by BankAngle1987 »

Just wrote the IATRA today with good results. I've taken Elessar_44's questions and added to them with what I remember. Definitely wayyy overstudied for this one, but I did the leg-work first and then read all the questions on here last night as a review. Easy test!

- the operator, in respect to an aircraft, is:
- CRM is valuable because?
- Qualities of a good Captian (NOT authoritative, overbearing)
- Avoidance of wake turbulence is...sole responsibility of PIC? Shared between ATC/PIC?
- No person shall consume medication unless..ASK THE DOC!
- %MAC question but distances in feet! (Doesnt matter)
- Given a weather chart and asked to find max speed of jet stream and altitude/severity of CAT in the vicinity
- Given upper weather chart and asked what wind speed over an airport is ( just read the barbs!)
- Which condition would Clear Ice form best in (High Rate of Catch , Large drops etc. )
- When is Indicated Altitude LOWER than true? Options were air warmer than standard/cooler than standard/flying high to low press/press. Higher than ICAO standard
- Compressor Bleed Valve’s purpose is to (Prevents Compressor stall)
- Difference between Vra and Vb (obvious answer because it’s the only one that mentions gust)
- PAPI – which indication shows an on-slope profile
- White Out occurs when..yadda yadda ‘uniform overcast layer’
- GNSS RAIM question: obvious answer mentions RAIM prediction
- When reading checklist and you’re interrupted, the best way to avoid missing items is to (I put read the rest silently to yourself while the other CM handles the distraction but that’s wrong I guess)
- no aircraft should be operated below 10000 feet at what speed

- what is dynamic hydroplaning ( I mixed it up with reverted-rubber hydroplaning – it’s the one where tire loses complete contact with runway)
- a pilot on a VFR flight plan must revise eta if entering the ADIZ when/where?

- what do vortex generators do?

- given a NOTAM with an APPROX.. asks when it will expire.. you are given different dates.

- what type of tx do you need in class C airspace?

- what does a machmeter do?

- in beta range, what controls the prop pitch?
- what stops the prop from going into reverse while flying? (Kind of a squirrely set of answers...closest one to what I remembered involved hydro-mechanical linkage)

- given a map of a trip to Halifax from another small place. You encounter freezing rain while flying at 4000 feet… what do you do?

- given a TAF with several changes in vis/ceiling, which of the following is true? Vis changed, Ceiling etc..
- Given a TAF and a current METAR, the frontal passage is going faster than forecast? Slower? As Forecast?

- Define EPR.
- you are on a flight that is 2 hours including a climb of 20 minutes. You are given fuel burns for a climb, cruise, and a hold. Night VFR in a turbo-prop. Asks you to calculate the the total fuel required (Assume ATO/Commuter since in any case it’s 45)

- FL310 or FL350, you are given TAS and winds as well as a fuel burn per hour. Asked to calculate the SGR or SAR and then decide which one gives the maximum range.

- DME: The greatest difference between ground and slant distance occurs when?

- you are above Vref in a turbojet when you are landing.. the best way to stop the aircraft as soon as possible is to?

- you are crossing the jetstream and the temperature is dropping.. the best way to avoice turbulence is to?

- Crititcal point question. Given some info then asked to calculate the time to CP.

- Calculate true wind velocity. They give you heading in magnetic and track as magnetic. You are given 10 east variation (I didn’t clue into the “true” part of that and left it magnetic..DUH) :roll:

- Question about Thunderstorm detection while in cloud w/ precip. Harder to see TS due to attenuation

- Weight Shift: Given: Fore/aft position arms/GTOW/Fore limit and current CofG position; Required: weight to move

EXACT accelerate-go chart from aerocourse; Find max. Allowable weight for 6000 foot runway

- type II and IV fluids are bad for which types of aircraft?

- you are flying along in -20 temp.. you land at an airport with a tight Dewpoint/Temp spread, you can expect (yup it's a nail-biter folks)
- When experiencing the presence of cold soak phenomenon, you can expect: something like 'rainfall to cause rime ice/rainfall to cause clear ice/rainfall melts frost on wings/snow to adhere to wings'

Anyways, that's the lot of it! Hope this helps. As previously posted - go through Aerocourse, do the studying because this knowledge will most definitely come in handy in practical application, and use these questions as a guide of what to expect. Cheers!

** And as a side-note, if you at all have the option/qualifications to write your ATPL's instead, do it. TC restated that they get grandfathered in once you have all the necessary qualifications and it'll save some repeat-studying down the road. However for us recently unemployed/broke lot, a $35 test and eating for the rest of the month sounds more logical :wink:

Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle. It's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes.
skypilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by skypilot »

Just wrote the exam. Nothing new. It is a relatively easy exam that anyone can pass with a minimum of studying and effort. Though I don't think it is appropriate to explicitely state the questions and answers in an exam I think it is legitimate to raise new subject areas that appear on exams or those that are contentious.

There was a question on Land and Hold Short Operations (LAHSO).

Also a poorly formulated version of the what is now cliche question: What do you do if you arrive fast over the threshhold?
There are so many many variables in such a situation but they seem to want you to answer: put the aircraft on the ground as sound as possible (rather than continue at normal approach speed), lower the nose and apply reverse thrust and braking. Anyhow it is really a half-baked question that has no place in the exam.

CESARMESA
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CESARMESA »

HAS ANYONE WRITTEN THE IATRA RECENTLY...ANY TIPS

tdp19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tdp19 »

"HAS ANYONE WRITTEN THE IATRA RECENTLY...ANY TIPS"

Haha cesar you are indeed a beauty! 1900 much?

Tim
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Tim »

CESARMESA wrote:HAS ANYONE WRITTEN THE IATRA RECENTLY...ANY TIPS
read the study and reference guide, then study. the aerocourse and cul-anes are useful.

oldirtypilot
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by oldirtypilot »

anyone know of any new exams?

lowleveljet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by lowleveljet »

tailplane stalls
life raft requirements re dist/time from land
detecting thunderstorms using wx radar
critical point
max weight using w&b charts
obtaining sigmet info before departure
specific air/ground range
type rating privileges
metar/taf junk
alt to be flown in mountainous regions with large temp/pressure variations
hydroplaning
engine pressure ratio
gnss overlay
gps calculates position how
encountering freezing rain
tora/toda/lda/asda
whiteout conditions
crm
vortex generators
compressor bleed valves
what prevents turboprop beta range during flight
rime ice vs clear ice re droplet size, catch rate
rain falling on cold soaked wing
bottle to throttle limits
flight duty times
procedure for checklist interruptions
qualities of an effective captain

rigobgo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by rigobgo »

:)

Just wrote the exam and wanted to thank everyone for their helpful posts. The exam wasn't very difficult and the posts really helped out. Thanks once again to everyone

WASIE
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by WASIE »

What did you use to study ?

darbel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by darbel »

I'm writing the IATRA in a couple of weeks. Does anybody know if there are any new types of questions on the exam? All of my books are versions from 2007-2009. Would they still work for me or should I pick up the new versions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
BTW the book I have is the aerocourse 4th edition for ATPL.

dune
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dune »

Anyone know if the questions in these posts are still valid these days? Anyone take the exam recently?

diazjoaquin
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by diazjoaquin »

dune wrote:Anyone know if the questions in these posts are still valid these days? Anyone take the exam recently?

BUMP

Looking to get this test done soon. thanks in advance.

T-roper
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by T-roper »

Unfortunately yes

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster