How to fix the back button issue...

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Post Reply
User avatar
Hot Fuel
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:16 pm

How to fix the back button issue...

Post by Hot Fuel »

Don't know how many on here are having problems with the back button issue i.e. the ad's. Seems to be a IE7 problem but I have found a great fix...Sorry Joe, it disables the ad's on your local browser.

http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/detai ... id=3407728

Also has a built in browser spell check that works in the post window! Might make a few people happy on this site...

Feel free to move this to the computer section...but I don't think that area gets much action so I thought a few might appreciate the link.
---------- ADS -----------
 
ybp
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 307
Joined: Mon Mar 26, 2007 11:22 pm
Location: La La Land

Post by ybp »

Nice work, Hot Fuel. It took all of 2 min to download.....even for a non-computer guy like me!

Thanks
---------- ADS -----------
 
Nature is a Mother.
User avatar
FastFlyBy
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:42 pm
Location: In a glass case of emotion

Post by FastFlyBy »

Right on... !!!

Thanks a shitload
---------- ADS -----------
 
desertduster
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 35
Joined: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:02 pm

Post by desertduster »

Firefox works great.
---------- ADS -----------
 
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 5655
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:00 pm
Location: "The Coast"

Post by xsbank »

I you circumvent Joe's revenue-earning ability because you are inconvenienced a bit, you will find he won't be able to keep the site operating. Thanks for trying to mess it up for the rest of us. Maybe change your browser to Firefox or Safari, or keep you 'revelations' to yourself.

Thanks again.
---------- ADS -----------
 
"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
User avatar
FastFlyBy
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2005 7:42 pm
Location: In a glass case of emotion

Post by FastFlyBy »

My not being able to use my back button is how the site earns revenue?
hmmm I hope not... that's a big trade off as I tend to use that button the most.
Seriously though, I don't know what the cause is but if there is a fix I'll take it. As for the ads I can turn the ad blocker on or off, currently it is off as I really do not find the ads intrusive in any way and yes, I do want this site to stay afloat.
---------- ADS -----------
 
CD
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2731
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:13 pm
Location: Canada

Post by CD »

xsbank wrote:I you circumvent Joe's revenue-earning ability because you are inconvenienced a bit, you will find he won't be able to keep the site operating. Thanks for trying to mess it up for the rest of us. Maybe change your browser to Firefox or Safari, or keep you 'revelations' to yourself.
Maybe finding an update to phpBB for IE to fix this site would be a better option? There is no revenue being made from me as I cannot even see the ad's due to the "googlesyndication" ad error. This is the only phpBB site with ad's that I frequent that has this error...
---------- ADS -----------
 
5400AirportRdSouth
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 362
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:23 am

Post by 5400AirportRdSouth »

I also dont see the ads and have to click back three times to leave the page.

I'll gladly take the ads if it helps the site, but it would sure be nice to be able to have my back button back....
---------- ADS -----------
 
Remember, only YOU can stop Narcissism
User avatar
Hot Fuel
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:16 pm

Post by Hot Fuel »

xsbank wrote
Thanks for trying to mess it up for the rest of us.
I resent your allegation...pretty big leap of assumption that I'm intentionally trying to damage the webmasters revenue stream.

Correct me if I'm wrong but Adsense pays the website owner based on the "click-through rate" of the ads that its displays on the page. If you don't actually go to the website being advertised by clicking on it nothing is gained.

I'm 100% positive that if the owner of this website feels that my posting of a link to a widely available add-on to IE7 is an intentional threat to the financial health of his site he would remove it, block my IP and take any and all measures to get even.

How much of your Avcanada experience is spent clicking on the ads displayed?
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
duCapo
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 288
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:01 am
Location: Earth

Post by duCapo »

It is not just in Windows IE. It happens in my Mac Safari too.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Rule #62 "Don't take yourself so damn seriously"
User avatar
avcanada
Rank Admin
Rank Admin
Posts: 12576
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:22 pm
Location: Calgary AB, USA, Argentina
Contact:

Post by avcanada »

I am working on a fix I just haven't had a lot of time to fix this issue.

I am hoping at the end of November to make a major upgrade to the phpbb script.
---------- ADS -----------
 
xsbank
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 5655
Joined: Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:00 pm
Location: "The Coast"

Post by xsbank »

Hey Hot Fuel, I didn't suggest you were being malicious, just thoughtless. I'm sorry if I over-reacted but there wouldn't be a site without some of these scumsucking ads. I certainly don't like them but I understand them.

DuCapo, interesting, as my Mac works fine with Safari (G4 1.25).
---------- ADS -----------
 
"What's it doing now?"
"Fly low and slow and throttle back in the turns."
Edo
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 577
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 8:39 pm

Post by Edo »

The question is does the site get paid for displaying the ad or only for a click through.

I have never clicked on an ad, but if the site gets paid for simply displaying the ad on my screen I will remove the ad ablocker.

Let us Know Joe!!
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Hot Fuel
Rank 6
Rank 6
Posts: 472
Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:16 pm

Post by Hot Fuel »

---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
Vickers vanguard
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 533
Joined: Mon Aug 23, 2004 2:04 pm
Location: YUL

Post by Vickers vanguard »

CD wrote: Maybe finding an update to phpBB for IE to fix this site would be a better option? There is no revenue being made from me as I cannot even see the ad's due to the "googlesyndication" ad error. This is the only phpBB site with ad's that I frequent that has this error...
for me,same situation as CD. Can't see the ads and it only does that with Avcanada. No problem on PPrune or other sites. back feature U/S.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
avcanada
Rank Admin
Rank Admin
Posts: 12576
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:22 pm
Location: Calgary AB, USA, Argentina
Contact:

Post by avcanada »

the back button should work again
---------- ADS -----------
 
TC Guy
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 552
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2005 10:27 am
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by TC Guy »

avcanada wrote:the back button should work again
Thanks, Joe.

Appreciate what you do, as always.

-Guy
---------- ADS -----------
 
200hr Wonder
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2212
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2005 1:52 pm
Location: CYVR
Contact:

Post by 200hr Wonder »

Gunna upgrade to phpbb 3.0 when it comes out?
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
avcanada
Rank Admin
Rank Admin
Posts: 12576
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 5:22 pm
Location: Calgary AB, USA, Argentina
Contact:

Post by avcanada »

200hr Wonder wrote:Gunna upgrade to phpbb 3.0 when it comes out?
Yes I am currently testing 3.0 and hope to upgrade AvCanada shortly.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “General Comments”