management degree
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore
management degree
I'm freshly licensed and Im considering the technolgy management program out of bcit. I'm curious on peoples thoughts of how a management degree might help a person climb the ladder that much faster.
-
electraguy
- Rank 4

- Posts: 225
- Joined: Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:33 pm
I am not sure how much quicker that would get you nearer the top of the ladder, but managment is about leadership, without good leadership skills, you will not be a good manager. As far as leadership goes, its not something you can really be taught, in school as such, you either are or you are not. The only way to be a good leader/manager is to get taste in the trenches forst so you are actually in the know of the goings on of the company.
Son, Your gonna have to make your mind up about growing up and becoming a pilot.. You can't do both!!
These days companies more commonly recognize and sometimes outright expect some formal education when considering a person for a management role.
Even if you don't find yourself in management, it won't be a waste of time since many of the managerial techniques and philosophies can be applied in other roles.
I disagree that management is necessarily all about leadership or that management skills can’t be learned. It depends largely on the specific role you’re talking about. There are many different management roles in the industry.
In maintenance, you can be involved in everything from a lead in a crew to the director of maintenance. You can be assigned as a program manager for a certain large (or small) programs and projects. Some will require a high degree of interpersonal (leadership) skills and some won’t.
Either way, if you have the time and money, the knowledge gained will be valuable in my opinion and will certainly help if you want to pursue a management position.
Even if you don't find yourself in management, it won't be a waste of time since many of the managerial techniques and philosophies can be applied in other roles.
I disagree that management is necessarily all about leadership or that management skills can’t be learned. It depends largely on the specific role you’re talking about. There are many different management roles in the industry.
In maintenance, you can be involved in everything from a lead in a crew to the director of maintenance. You can be assigned as a program manager for a certain large (or small) programs and projects. Some will require a high degree of interpersonal (leadership) skills and some won’t.
Either way, if you have the time and money, the knowledge gained will be valuable in my opinion and will certainly help if you want to pursue a management position.
- twistedoldwrench
- Rank 2

- Posts: 81
- Joined: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:24 pm
- Location: West Coast
I agree with electraguy, being old school, effective management means to me a get-er-done attitude, don't ask anyone to do what you wouldn't or haven't done yourself. Be aware of all of your obligations and responsibilites as a manager. My observations over they years is that it is a natural ability for individuals, and is in deed a leadership role.
That being said, the new regulations being forced on all of us have nothing to do with this type of common sense, seat of your pants approach, we are moving into a monkey see-monkey do world where a degree in yellow pencil thinking is the only way you will be able to stay in business. If you have oportunity to get management training, go for it. Any training is good training.
That being said, the new regulations being forced on all of us have nothing to do with this type of common sense, seat of your pants approach, we are moving into a monkey see-monkey do world where a degree in yellow pencil thinking is the only way you will be able to stay in business. If you have oportunity to get management training, go for it. Any training is good training.
Old enough to know better, too young to quit
- tellyourkidstogetarealjob
- Rank 5

- Posts: 390
- Joined: Mon Nov 28, 2005 12:11 am
- Location: Cascadia
Regardless of the image it likes to project, aviation is not a modern industry. Its' techniques, management-wise, are firmly stuck in the 1950s. The 'good old boy' who drinks with the boss and works every weekend is the manager of tomorrow.
I thought the last round of blood letting a few years ago might change that and allow for a different kind of manager but it didn't. The current nepotism rampant in the industry needs to change but, who nows, perhaps that would just allow a different kind of nepotism to develop. The program you're mentioning I'm familiar with. It might pay dividends 15-20 years from now but I don't think it will immediately. So it depends on your age.
If you really wanted to be a manager you should've taken a few months and $30,000 to get a pilot's license and then huck bags and wrestle oil drums for a couple of years. That is all it takes to eventually make major decisions at most of the airlines in this country. Having a head so big you can't fit it through the hangar doors is a nice touch, too.
I thought the last round of blood letting a few years ago might change that and allow for a different kind of manager but it didn't. The current nepotism rampant in the industry needs to change but, who nows, perhaps that would just allow a different kind of nepotism to develop. The program you're mentioning I'm familiar with. It might pay dividends 15-20 years from now but I don't think it will immediately. So it depends on your age.
If you really wanted to be a manager you should've taken a few months and $30,000 to get a pilot's license and then huck bags and wrestle oil drums for a couple of years. That is all it takes to eventually make major decisions at most of the airlines in this country. Having a head so big you can't fit it through the hangar doors is a nice touch, too.
Are you going to go for a management position right away or expect to work on the floor and work your way up?
If you work as a grunt and your crew chief and DOM have worked their way up the ladder so to speak and you come in with a management degree I dont think you're going to be favorably looked upon but rather as a threat to their positions.
If you work as a grunt and your crew chief and DOM have worked their way up the ladder so to speak and you come in with a management degree I dont think you're going to be favorably looked upon but rather as a threat to their positions.
If the management has that attitude, it might be better to find a job elsewhere. I don't disagree that there are people like that out there.If you work as a grunt and your crew chief and DOM have worked their way up the ladder so to speak and you come in with a management degree I dont think you're going to be favorably looked upon but rather as a threat to their positions.
[
Thanks for your views. I like this quote because I think it's true, not with all but some. I'm currently 25 and do not expect the degree to happen overnight nor the management opportunity. I just hope it could open a few doors.If you work as a grunt and your crew chief and DOM have worked their way up the ladder so to speak and you come in with a management degree I dont think you're going to be favorably looked upon but rather as a threat to their positions.
- hella_bright
- Rank 1

- Posts: 43
- Joined: Thu Nov 09, 2006 1:55 pm
Re:
Ding Ding Ding!! We have a winner folkstellyourkidstogetarealjob wrote:Regardless of the image it likes to project, aviation is not a modern industry. Its' techniques, management-wise, are firmly stuck in the 1950s. The 'good old boy' who drinks with the boss and works every weekend is the manager of tomorrow.
I thought the last round of blood letting a few years ago might change that and allow for a different kind of manager but it didn't. The current nepotism rampant in the industry needs to change but, who nows, perhaps that would just allow a different kind of nepotism to develop. The program you're mentioning I'm familiar with. It might pay dividends 15-20 years from now but I don't think it will immediately. So it depends on your age.



