New Journey Log Book Requirements

This forum has been developed to discuss aviation related topics.

Moderators: ahramin, sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Captain Kangaroo
Rank 3
Rank 3

New Journey Log Book Requirements

Post by Captain Kangaroo » Sat Apr 12, 2008 1:53 pm

Can someone, better at navigating TC's Web Disaster, point me to the requirement for Journey Log Book Transfers as it applies to starting a new Journey Log Book.

I think I have to re-write the last three entries from the old log book but can't find the answer anywhere. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

CK
---------- ADS -----------

Go Guns
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: New Journey Log Book Requirements

Post by Go Guns » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:10 pm

It's the last two entries. I'll see if I can find you a reference, but through three companies I've done it that way.

Go Guns
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Go Guns » Sat Apr 12, 2008 2:55 pm

Well, I couldn't find a reference in the CARs, however, Google books popped up with a book called "The CARs in Plain English" by Phil Croucher. On page 89 he lays out the journey log requirements. He states that the requirement to transfer the last two entries from an old logbook into a new logbook is no longer in force and instead there must be an unbroken chronological order. He references CARS 605.94(4), which deals with international companies flying in Canada. The book was published in 2001 so the reference must've changed. Maybe someone else will have better luck.

Wacko
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Wacko » Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:13 pm

Yeah I looked that up too and couldn't find anything other than the above mentioned. If you read the requirements for the Technical Log you'll find that it just asks for continuity... it remember a while ago having this conversations with someone as well... basically... as long as you can prove that the one book follows the previous without any potential for "missed entries" you're good.

Every war when it comes, or before it comes, is represented not as a war but as an act of self-defense against a homicidal maniac. George Orwell
Disclaimer: The above post was not meant to offend anyone.

87Strat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 87Strat » Sat Apr 12, 2008 5:01 pm

(4) Every person who brings into use a new volume of an existing technical record shall make the entries relating to the preceding volume that are necessary to ensure that an unbroken chronological record is maintained.

Spinner
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Spinner » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:34 pm

"LIFE IS NOT A JOURNEY TO THE GRAVE WITH THE INTENTION OF ARRIVING
SAFELY IN A PRETTY AND WELL PRESERVED BODY, BUT RATHER TO SKID IN BROADSIDE, THOROUGHLY USED UP, TOTALLY WORN OUT, AND LOUDLY PROCLAIMING"

WOW... WHAT A RIDE

SeptRepair
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by SeptRepair » Sat Apr 12, 2008 9:08 pm

Funny i just went through this same dilemma 2 weeks ago. I'm Importing an aircraft and wanted to find the part in CARS stating it must be two entries, I couldnt, So all i did was enter the last 100/annual and carried forward the times since that date to the current annual/100 hr inspection im performing.

How can you tell which one is the pilot when you walk into a bar?....Don't worry he will come up and tell you.

twotter
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by twotter » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:01 am

Ya know Spinner, it cracks me up to see what a good QA guy you have become... I remember oh too well before that happened!!! LOL!!! :smt040

Captain Kangaroo
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Captain Kangaroo » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:08 am

Yep... Found these easy enough, but no indication as to how many entries needed to prove continuity.

Thanks to all who chimed in... I'll go with two until I can find it written somewhere.

Cheers,

CK

edmanster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by edmanster » Fri Jul 27, 2018 8:44 am

This is where little common sense should show up. A journey log should reflect the tech logs & tech logs reflect the journey log .. whereby journey log has more Flight details & Tech logs more details on the air-frame. Either Tech or Journey to be viable references to sustain the other. -Thus the reasoning why both not to travel together. Nothing worse when a private operator shows up for the annual without the tech logs & a few flight stops listed in the journey log.
In my humble opinion .. the following info should be listed on the first page.
1/ - Last few flights (whatever the count is these days ..)
2/ Date & Flight hours (FH) of last annual or 100 HR inspection.
3/ Mention of Date & FH of when engine & prop installed.
4/ Mention of any irregular findings (eg" low compression #2 cyl) - last insp. including oil type used.
5/ List of dates when last repetitive Airworthiness ADs complied with. ELT insp, compass swing etc.
6/ Mention of any odd-ball STCs / flying on Mogas / Non-STD prop installed.
Thus when you show up for the annual / or in transit stop with an issue - AME has a clue what is going on with the AC.
So .. when you show up with a smoking "on-condition" engine & expect me to release the AC with no Tech-logs & no ref in the Journey
.. Where does the AME begin ??

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:29 am

I'm confused edmanster, both to your purpose in resurrecting a 10 year old thread :) and your reply. Your list contains a bunch of items not required, and none of the items that are required. For me common sense would not include trying to come up with a homemade list of historical items to start a journey log with. Common sense would be to look at what the CARs require for a new Journey Log and enter those items. But I guess common sense isn't that common right :)?

As for what's an AME to do? You seem to be referring to an annual inspection so I would expect the AME to perform an annual inspection as per 625 B and the manufacturer's annual or 100 hour checklist, call me with any discrepancies and a quote for each, repair the discrepancies, and provide me with signed stickers to that effect to put in my tech and journey logs. Is there some requirement to review the maintenance history of the aircraft that I don't know about for an annual?

aeroncasuperchief
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by aeroncasuperchief » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:59 am

Is there some requirement to review the maintenance history of the aircraft that I don't know about for an annual?

YES one example is " How long have the mags been on since their last insp./O/H ?

ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:24 am

You can't sign out an annual without knowing how long ago the mags were installed?

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly » Fri Jul 27, 2018 10:46 am

This is going to be good :)

Kirk: This is a dangerous mission. Likely, one of us will die. The landing party will be me, Spock, McCoy, and Ensign Ricky.
Ensign Ricky: Aw, crap.

Return to “General Comments”