Sanders Geophysics (SGL)

Got a hot employment or interview tip to help a fellow aviator find a job or looking for a little job advice place your posting here.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore

DFione1
Rank 2
Rank 2

Sanders Geophysics (SGL)

Post by DFione1 »

Hey folks, just wondering if anyone knows if Sanders hires people without valid IFR tickets? I know survey work is done in VFR. Any info would be appreciated.
---------- ADS -----------

Pratt X 3
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: Sanders Geophysics (SGL)

Post by Pratt X 3 »

DFione1 wrote:I know survey work is done in VFR.
My best guess; the ferry flights between survey areas could require a valid IFR. Maybe they would renew your rating once you got hired. Doesn't hurt to apply.

Have Pratts - Will Travel
DHC3Rwannafly
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DHC3Rwannafly »

It may be vfr, but I think they don't very often, look out of the cockpit. my guess...

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

DHC3Rwannafly wrote:It may be vfr, but I think they don't very often, look out of the cockpit. my guess...
If you don't look out of the cockpit while survey flying, it won't be long before things go bad. It's amazing what's down between 300-500 feet... helicopters, towers, birds...

The correct way to fly survey is to spend at least 70% of the time looking OUTSIDE.

However, as mentioned, ferry flights would be done IFR, plus it might be an insurance issue as well.

Re: the valid IFR - I don't work for Sander but I can assume since their job ad says they REQUIRE a valid GROUP 1 IFR, that you should probably have it. Look at it this way - I'm sure you won't be the only one applying for the job and if they get someone with similar qualifications but with a VALID MIFR, why would they pick you over them when they'd have to shell out $$$$ PLUS time on a renewal for you?

Dave T
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dave T »

Does anyone know what kind of time they are looking for? Looks like they may operate with two pilots sometimes what is the requirement for direct entry capt? Schedule ect?

Just curious sounds like cool experience for someone that is young and wants to see some of the world.

aileron
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by aileron »

Most likely survey above FL180, also requiring an IFR ticket...

seahawk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by seahawk »

What kind of outfit are they to work for? Is it low level surveying or is it above 18000. Just curious

desertduster
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by desertduster »

They are a good company to work for. Good maintenance, people, and great opportunity to see the world. I believe they work two months on and one off. All survey work is low level. (Caravan is not a machine for survey above FL180) IFR is required for the ferry flights, and for times when a sand storm might just catch you by surprise.

Ramjet555
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Ramjet555 »

I was speaking with their chief pilot a while back and I knew several guys who worked for them and their competition, also a great company. Sander's is a great company, pay reasonably well, lots of adventure overseas more suitable to a single guy. If you are married you would have to be prepared to spend several months away at a time. That would be a career move. International operations generally require an IFR rating and for the machines they fly you really should have one. In the geophysical survey business there is a historical high accident rate. As a general comment, survey companies often end up with the wrong sort of pilots who end up killing themselves. That experienced survey pilot you meet may just be yet another accident going to happen or an example of good CRM. It's challenging flying, you need to be able to fly lots of hours of very accurate flying, that can be akin to the challenge of doing many hours of repeated ILS approaches. Some ability in other languages might be valuable. Survey flying often involves many hours of low level flying in addition to the high level work. Call their chief pilot and speak to him yourself.

Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

Ramjet555 wrote:That experienced survey pilot you meet may just be yet another accident going to happen or an example of good CRM.
What are you trying to say? Historically high accident rate compared to what? Bush flying? Northern IFR ops.? I would argue both of these are more dangerous then survey flying. No doubt there are risks involved with low flying but there are other risks we do without common to other areas of the industry.. such as flying overweight, in bad weather, or on poorly maintained machines.

Otherwise good post.

chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

Ramjet555 wrote:In the geophysical survey business there is a historical high accident rate. As a general comment, survey companies often end up with the wrong sort of pilots who end up killing themselves. That experienced survey pilot you meet may just be yet another accident going to happen or an example of good CRM.
Historically, yes. Because of this, the "better" survey companies these days are members of IAGSA (Int'l Airborne Geophysical Survey Association) that promotes a culture of safety, and many clients require the company to have incredibly high safety standards, thorough pilot training both on aircraft type and on survey, often at Flight Safety, and a bunch of other things... the amounts of safety-related paperwork, risk assessments, etc is incredible.

Your comments may reflect the "old time" survey pilot, but the generalization applies less and less today. I don't know any wrong sorts of pilots who are accidents waiting to happen where I work; we're not the bunch of cowboys & gals that you seem to think.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

Survey flying is very low risk wise compared to many other jobs.

Anyone who thinks that it is dangerous needs to expand their horizons.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
chipmunk
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by chipmunk »

Cat Driver wrote:Survey flying is very low risk wise compared to many other jobs.

Anyone who thinks that it is dangerous needs to expand their horizons.
I think the most dangerous part of my job is the potential of getting tangled up in the mosquito net when I get out of bed in the morning...

(How are ya doing these days, Cat?)

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

(How are ya doing these days, Cat?)
Just fine chipmunk, haven't flown an airplane since last fall when we bought the Husky, but I guess I will get back at it again soon.

Still turning down overseas stuff though and not missing it for a second.

I was talking to Clunk last week and he is coming out to see if he can think at five knots so he is as good as me. :mrgreen:

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
Rudder Bug
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Rudder Bug »

I was talking to Clunk last week and he is coming out to see if he can think at five knots so he is as good as me.
Wow you guys better hold your hats!!!!

Happy sailing!

Flying an aircraft and building a guitar are two things that are easy to do bad and difficult to do right

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Yd_QppdGks
Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Lost Lake
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Lost Lake »

Mr. North wrote:
Ramjet555 wrote:That experienced survey pilot you meet may just be yet another accident going to happen or an example of good CRM.
What are you trying to say? Historically high accident rate compared to what? Bush flying? Northern IFR ops.? I would argue both of these are more dangerous then survey flying. No doubt there are risks involved with low flying but there are other risks we do without common to other areas of the industry.. such as flying overweight, in bad weather, or on poorly maintained machines.

Otherwise good post.
Wow, no one picked up on this. Are you saying you fly overweight, in bad weather on poorly maintained aircraft? If your working for a company that endorses that thinking today get the f*%k out now because one way or another you won't be flying there long! :?:

What little I do know is either not important or I've forgotten it!
Transport Canada's mission statement: We're not happy until you're not happy
Mr. North
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Mr. North »

Chill out Lost Lake, I think you completely missed the tone of this thread.

arobinson
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by arobinson »

I didn't see an answer to the question of the how many hours a pilot needs to be hired at Sanders. Thoughts?

thanks

CanadianEh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by CanadianEh »

arobinson wrote:I didn't see an answer to the question of the how many hours a pilot needs to be hired at Sanders. Thoughts?

thanks
1000 TT unless you know someone

Return to “Employment Forum”