Page 1 of 1
Mt. Arrowsmith Beechcraft Expeditor crash?
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:08 pm
by stanley strazza
this aircraft, a RCAF Beechcraft Expeditor MK2 had crashed into Mt. Arrowsmith, any info on this?
Re: Cameron Lake Canso crash and another above on the mountain
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:20 pm
by Widow
Can you provide any more details? Approximate dates? Which Cameron Lake? If BC, then this website:
http://www.baaa-acro.com/Pays/C/Canada- ... nnique.htm, may give you dates/reg numbers ...
Re: Cameron Lake Canso crash...
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:40 pm
by stanley strazza
I have recently found out that the airplane that had crashed into the Cameron Lake was not a Canso-A amphibian aircraft as I'd thought.....but, what I have not found out yet was what kind of airplane really did......what-ever it was, she appearently hit the water on March 2nd, 1968 and sank......remaining underwater for year's until finally being found by a crew using underwater sonar on Sept, 2 1983....during the salvage, four souls had been found still in the aircrafts cabin.......in my search for another airplane that had crash above Cameron Lake, I thought it to be a Canso-A too, wasn't.....she turned out to be a DHC3 Otter, which you'll will find in my report further down the forum board......cheers!.........stanley strazza
Re: Cameron Lake Canso crash and another above on the mountain
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:55 pm
by Widow
Hmm, well, the link I posted only shows one accident on Cameron Lake proper, but that was a DHC-3 in 1991. It does show four "Consolidated Catalinas", including one military, but none were at Cameron Lake.
Re: Cameron Lake Canso crash....
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:32 pm
by stanley strazza
ya' I seen that in the site address you had mentioned......I had spoken to a lady here in Nanaimo a while back about the crash that occured on top of a mountain above Kennedy Lake and she told me that her husband was supposed to be on that Canso-A amphibian #11086 aircraft from the RCAF, but because he did not need any further flight hours, he did not go, but a friend of his needing more hours on her, took his place and had parished because of it.....she said that the radio or something like that was not working very well so he just simply passed on the journey.......she also mentioned that her husband years later helped biuld a cairn to the victims that still lay on the mountain top....thanx for your assistance......cheers!........stan
Re: Cameron Lake Canso crash and another above on the mountain
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:31 pm
by Widow
Well, only one I know of that is still there on the island is this one ...
http://www.trailpeak.com/trail-Canso-Cr ... no-BC-5053 also seen here
http://triptracker.net/trip/4064/.
I'd be willing to bet Cat Driver might know of others, and their history.
Edited to add: You might find something of interest here too:
http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolo ... 5d1484b343
Re: Cameron Lake Canso crash and another above on the mountain
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:52 pm
by GA MX Trainer Dude
Some info??
Only a couple that I know about first is this one at Mnt. Bensen - QCA aircraft.
http://aviation-safety.net/database/rec ... 19511017-0
Status:
Date: 17 OCT 1951
Time: ca 18:55
Type: Consolidated Canso A
Operator: Queen Charlotte Airlines
Registration: CF-FOQ
C/n / msn: 395
First flight: 1941
Crew: Fatalities: 3 / Occupants: 3
Passengers: Fatalities: 20 / Occupants: 20
Total: Fatalities: 23 / Occupants: 23
Airplane damage: Written off
Airplane fate: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location: Mt. Benson, BC (Canada)
Phase: En route (ENR)
Nature: Domestic Non Scheduled Passenger
Departure airport: Kildala, BC, Canada
Destination airport: Vancouver (unknown airport), BC, Canada
Flightnumber: 102-17
Narrative:
While flying VFR in adverse weather conditions, the pilot mistook Nanaimo for Vancouver. The plane crashed into Mt. Benson.
PROBABLE CAUSE: "The probable cause of this accident was the continuance of the flight VFR at night under conditions of restricted visibility. Whilst it cannot be determined conclusively, it is probable that through a navigational error the pilot mistook Nanaimo for Vancouver. This may have been precipitated by inadequate pre-flight preparation in that the latest Meteorological Information was not obtained by the pilot before taking off on the south bound flight."
Tofino ones???
http://aviation-safety.net/database/rec ... 19450208-4
Status:
Date: 08 FEB 1945
Type: Canadian Vickers PBV-1A Canso
Operator: Royal Canadian Air Force - RCAF
Registration: 11007
C/n / msn: CV 285
First flight:
Crew: Fatalities: 0 / Occupants:
Passengers: Fatalities: 0 / Occupants:
Total: Fatalities: 0 / Occupants: 12
Airplane damage: Written off
Airplane fate: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location: 5 km (3.1 mls) E of Tofino (Canada)
Phase: Initial climb (ICL)
Nature: Military
Departure airport: ?
Destination airport: ?
Narrative:
Crash-landed after engine failure. (at 49.04.40N 125.49.11W)
Sources:
» Canadian Military Aircraft Serial Numbers
An Earlier one without much info
http://aviation-safety.net/database/rec ... 19441114-0
Status:
Date:
Type: Canadian Vickers PBV-1A Canso
Operator: Royal Canadian Air Force - RCAF
Registration: 11017
C/n / msn: CV 295
First flight:
Crew: Fatalities: / Occupants:
Passengers: Fatalities: / Occupants:
Total: Fatalities: / Occupants:
Airplane damage: Written off
Airplane fate: Written off (damaged beyond repair)
Location: ()
Phase: ()
Nature: Military
Departure airport: ?
Destination airport: ?
Narrative:
Missing.
Data from here:
http://aviation-safety.net/database/typ ... p?type=570
I have never heard of any PBY aircraft crashing on Vancouver Island other than these ones and a couple around Pat Bay during the war.
http://www.canada.com/victoriatimescolo ... 5d1484b343
But when it comes to airplane crashes especially with the military it is a bit harder to get info so I reserve the right to be wrong.
Cat Driver might know - he must be prowling around here somewhere??? 2 crashes at the same little lake would most likely attract more attention than is currently available.
Regards,
Mx
Re: Cameron Lake Canso crash and another above on the mountain
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:30 pm
by Flybabe
Mr. Strazza - please take a look on the threads referring the Flying Firemen in this forum. I think there's a link to some info there.
Try the thread titled The Flying Firemen - Who Were They thread below:
The Flying Firemen thread
Re: Cameron Lake Canso crash
Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:04 am
by stanley strazza
Queen Charlotte Airlines, Canso-A amphibian CF-FOQ (military#9738) crashed into Mt.Benson on oct 17th 1951, 23 souls perished....I've been wreck-chasing this particular airplane for the past ten years.....I've also been to the Radar Mt. Canso-A (11007) wreck-site near Tofino and really enjoyed the black bears that frequent the wreckage....I had noticed that the waist blister frames were recently removed from that aircraft and only hope they were being used for another "Cat" project....I truly enjoy the Flying Firemen and their forums and my collection of info and pics on those cool flyboys is growing rapidly.... I honestly thank you all for it....I wish to find what I can on the Cameron Lake crash....I do regret to say that, I have lost my only photo showing the Canso-A amphibian #11086 (RCAF) wreck-site above Kennedy Lake....she had crashed on the mountain top slightly to the north of Lake....proof though that some pics do exist, (the caption on the photo had said " this should peak your interest), and yuppers, it sure did...so forum members I thank you all for your assistance....this is an awesome web-site chat forum......cheers!......Stanley Strazza
Re: Cameron Lake Canso crash and another above on the mountain
Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 11:15 am
by SeptRepair
Hi Stanley, I know a fellow who lives in Port Alberni and his passion is finding and documenting crash sights all over BC. George is a very personable guy and loves to talk about aircraft and crash sights. Here is a link to his website.
http://www3.telus.net/onholeyground/ If there has been any crashes on/or around Cameron Lake then im sure he would have some information for you.
Re: Cameron Lake Canso crash and another above on the mountain
Posted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 4:39 pm
by beechnut
I have looked at the Canso wreckage on the top of the hill at Sand River which is a feeder into Kennedy Lake near Tofino. No survivors 1943 or so. There is also a PBY on the side of Hunter Island it was based at Bella Bella ,if you look in just the right spot you can still see the fuselage a few guys survived that one. Another N numbered PBY just made it into the tanker base at Sproat Lake in the 70's on fire . The photos of that one are around and are pretty amazing to see. That machine was trucked back to Moses Lake Wn. and never flew again. It was on a fire near Comox when that incident occured. Beechnut
Re: Cameron Lake Canso crash....
Posted: Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:45 pm
by stanley strazza
thanx for the tip on my Canso crashe query......I have e-mailed that gentlman and presently await his reply...........Stanley
Re: Cameron Lake Canso crash and another above on the mountain
Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:26 pm
by Surfair
Nice, I did not know about the kennedy lake crash. Whenever you hike to the Tofino one, bring a gps or something... I spent an evening there last summer walking around by following the flag trail!
Re: Cameron Lake Canso crash and another above on the mountain
Posted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:47 pm
by marsfan
I have several colour photo's of the Canso that caught fire at Sproat Lake and had an engine fire....It was beached at the base....I have about 5 reall y good shots of it there including a good one of the burnt engine...i believe a FIFT chopper dumped a bucket of water on it while it was still on the lake!
Re: Cameron Lake Canso crash and another above on the mountain
Posted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:52 pm
by Dr. Mcillicuddy
Flybabe wrote:Mr. Strazza - please take a look on the threads referring the Flying Firemen in this forum. I think there's a link to some info there.
Try the thread titled The Flying Firemen - Who Were They thread below:
The Flying Firemen thread
Re: Cameron Lake Canso crash and another above on the mount
Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:30 pm
by stanley strazza
....This de Havilland DHC-3 Otter was destroyed in the crash above Cameron lake, she hit the trees at the Port Alberni end of the lake, with wings torn off tree's she slid slid further through the brushes to end up on the edge of a rocky bluff...11 occupants were injured, but all were rescued within 20 minutes by a passing Comox helicopter who just happened to be in that area at the particular time on practise excercises... a pretty surprising quick rescue for the stunned passengers and crew......the photo of de Havilland DHC-3 Otter C-FQRI (thanx goes to Otterfogger-Steve).....e-mail me for the whole incredible story...(
stanlanders4@yahoo.ca)...cheers!...stanley strazza
Re: Cameron Lake Canso crash and another above on the mount
Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:38 pm
by stanley strazza
SeptRepair wrote:Hi Stanley, I know a fellow who lives in Port Alberni and his passion is finding and documenting crash sights all over BC. George is a very personable guy and loves to talk about aircraft and crash sights. Here is a link to his website.
http://www3.telus.net/onholeyground/ If there has been any crashes on/or around Cameron Lake then im sure he would have some information for you.
I wish to thank you for the awesome contact you gave me to help me in my two aircraft crash query's (in and above Cameron Lake)....he had gave me a tail number and that did it, we've solved the aircraft wreck on the mountain above the lake....if ya' want to see the whole story on the crash of Otter C-FQRI..(s/n326)...e-mail me (
stanlanders4@yahoo.ca)and I'll send a copy of the hunt...if there's anything I can help you with, just simply ask......now off I go onto the next aircraft wreck-hunt, possibly for the aircraft that was uderwater in Cameron L
ake....cheers!....Stanley Strazza
Re: Mt. Arrowsmith Beechcraft Expeditor crash?
Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:08 pm
by Tstibbards
I am seeking the actual crash site for this plane.
If anyone can help, I'd appreciate it.
My grandfather Bernard Stibbards died in this plane crash Oct 10, 1954.
He was a squadron leader and pastor in the RCAF, and was enroute to Tofino to perform a Thanksgiving service for a First Nation group there.
Re: Mt. Arrowsmith Beechcraft Expeditor crash?
Posted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:41 am
by Moose47
G'day Mr. Stibbards
At this moment I do not have the exact location of the crash site. I will talk to my contacts in Ottawa at the Directorate of Flight Safety and see what they can provide.
For those not familair with this tragic accident, here are some details.
The aircraft was a Beechcraft Expeditor Mk. 3NM, s/n 2380 and coded QT*380 from No. 121 Communications and Rescue Flight based at R.C.A.F. Station Sea Island, British Columbia. It was on an I.F.R. flight when it slammed into the mountain.
Onboard the aircraft were.
37745 Flying Officer Lawrence Edwin Oppenheimer from Winnipeg, Manitoba. He was 24 years old at the time of the accident.
230535 Flying Officer Michael John Saunders. He was originally from Bristol, England and was 22 years old when killed in the flying accident.
25741 Squadron Leader Bernard George Stibbards. He was a Padre serving with No. 12 Air Defence Group Headquarters at R.C.A.F. Station Comox, British Columbia. Stibbards was originally from Essex, England.
Here is an extract from a story about Marjorie Harris written by Ron Graham and published in Toronto Life in July, 1999.
“Then, a year or so later, within a few months of moving to Vancouver, the family faced a second tragedy. Bernard Stibbards was killed in a plane crash on his way to preach in Tofino. “I had a horrible feeling that morning,” Harris remembers. “I begged him not to go. ‘Sure,’ he said, ‘I’ll just call up my group captain and tell him my daughter’s ordered me to stay.’ So I hugged-him and kissed him and that was that. Two hours later they told us the plane was lost, but I knew you don’t lose planes. It took a week for them to confirm his death, because they had to send climbers to find the wreckage on Mount Arrowsmith.”
Cheers...Chris
Re: Mt. Arrowsmith Beechcraft Expeditor crash?
Posted: Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:15 pm
by oldncold
chris are you the same gentleman that served in 121 ku during the 60's and then ran a pilot supply store and retired to penticton b.c? if so could you pm me
Re: Mt. Arrowsmith Beechcraft Expeditor crash?
Posted: Sun Jul 28, 2013 8:25 pm
by Moose47
"chris are you the same gentleman that served in 121 ku ..."
Nope, not me, I'm still plugging away here at 22 Wing North Bay.
Cheers...Chris
Re: Mt. Arrowsmith Beechcraft Expeditor crash?
Posted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:05 pm
by redpillar
A friend and I found what is left of the Beechcraft on the east side of Mt. Arrowsmith yesterday. Both engines and both wheels are visible now. There are various pieces of aluminium and what appears to be a radio and a blue piece of leather upholstery that may be a seat cover. One piece we found had the numbers 80 on it. I presume that is the ID number 380.
Re: Mt. Arrowsmith Beechcraft Expeditor crash?
Posted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:51 am
by SeptRepair
How hard was it to locate? Did you get coordinates? I would be interested in checking it out as well.
Re: Mt. Arrowsmith Beechcraft Expeditor crash?
Posted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:38 pm
by redpillar
The wreckage is easy to get to if you can climb for a couple of hours. If you know Arrowsmith very well you can get to it by climbing the Saddle route or the Rouseau Ridge trail to the Saddle. Then climb the ridge to your right as if you were going to the summit, a short distance and drop off into the large bowl above Jewel Lake and traverse the bowl without loosing too much elevation. You will see the engines and landing gear laying in the scree field.
Re: Mt. Arrowsmith Beechcraft Expeditor crash?
Posted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:14 pm
by 911caddy
Mr Stibbard, I would be happy to take you to this crash site if you have not already made your way there. I have been there several times over the years. The snow is melting fast and late August or September would be the time to go.
Cliffs72caddy@hotmail.com