Page 1 of 1

Air Mikisew

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:01 am
by korean_pielot
Looks like Air Mikisew in YMM is hiring, I hear it's a good company to work for.

Re: Air Mikisew

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:08 am
by LegoMan
They started going through resumes yesterday I believe and will begin hiring in 2-3 weeks.

Re: Air Mikisew

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:56 am
by SkyWolfe
korean_pielot wrote:Looks like Air Mikisew in YMM is hiring, I hear it's a good company to work for, anyone getting any interviews?
Not what I heard.

Re: Air Mikisew

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:06 am
by shannon
Air Mikisew is a good company, with a really good maintenance department. The DOM is a grumpy bastard but he runs a tight ship. You can spend a bit of time waiting on the ramp to fly but no longer than anywhere else. It's a good place to start a career.

Re: Air Mikisew

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:08 am
by LegoMan
whats the average wait time?

Re: Air Mikisew

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:02 pm
by Just another canuck
I can't speak from personal experience, but I have heard of couple horror stories directly from two individuals I used to work with... they worked the ramp and hated it immensely. That said, I hear horror stories about every company as well as good ones. What works out for some doesn't for others and vice versa.

If you're a low time guy/girl, now is not the time to be picky. I would jump on it despite any bad experiences I've heard about.

Good luck to all applicants.

Re: Air Mikisew

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:08 pm
by SkyWolfe
From what I have heard, I would not personally. But that's just me, I prefer to avoid abuse.

Re: Air Mikisew

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:14 pm
by Just another canuck
SkyWolfe wrote:From what I have heard, I would not personally. But that's just me, I prefer to avoid abuse.
This isn't a job for you anyway Wolfie... more of a position for fresh CPL's. I know some people say it's OK to work the ramp with time in your logbook, but I disagree.

I'm sure you'll get something soon enough. :goodman: :D

Re: Air Mikisew

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:18 pm
by atpl53
Air Mikisew is currently seeking a low time pilot to work in our flight operations department as Dispatcher/Flight Follower. This position is best suited for an up and coming pilot looking to start their flying career. This job will lead to flight crew advancement with hard work and dedication. We offer an excellent benefits package, RRSP’s as well as a cost of living allowance.

The ideal candidate for a Dispatcher/Flight Follower will have demonstrated excellence in customer service, a strong knowledge of sections 703 and 704 of CARS. This person should have experience working with a wide range of aircraft operating in various configurations and roles. A strong sense of organization and the ability to adapt quickly to changing situations are essential.
Excuse me if this sounds critical, but when I think back on my career starting as a low time pilot my extensive experience working with a wide range of aircraft included 152's, 172's, DA20, and PA44's. Just wish that potential employers would be more thoughtful on who they are really looking for.

Re: Air Mikisew

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:19 pm
by SkyWolfe
Actually, I am the low timer...My hubby is the one with the fat log book ... and also the one who is not even getting ramp spots! :'(

Re: Air Mikisew

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:20 pm
by LegoMan
so is this a ramp job for a year, to fly a navajo?

Re: Air Mikisew

Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:49 pm
by flying4dollars
Was there for 8 months, left for a flying job, had I stayed, I woulda been just a few more months away from the right seat. Shorter wait time than other places, and since I've left, compensation has improved a LOT. Raises and living allowances were added on what I used to make. Worked with some great people. The others I worked with on the ramp there are ALL flying right now. Progression is good, not too much time needed on the Navajo before you're cross-trained/upgraded onto a turbine. Gotta start somewhere, glad I made the move up north. Fort Mac sucks, but there are FAR worse places. You also have access to WJ and AC flights to GTFO every once in a while. Low timer? I'd give this place a thought. Band owned and operated for those that understand the significance.

Re: Air Mikisew

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:23 pm
by dmillage
I'm a low timer fresh out of school I applied and will be following up with a call tomorrow, wish me luck.... I worked at a esso avitat before, any ideas what my chances are like? I'm also part way through a class 4 rating.. any thoughts to which would be best?

Re: Air Mikisew

Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:38 pm
by flying4dollars
dmillage wrote:I'm a low timer fresh out of school I applied and will be following up with a call tomorrow, wish me luck.... I worked at a esso avitat before, any ideas what my chances are like? I'm also part way through a class 4 rating.. any thoughts to which would be best?
Well Mikisew owns Borealis fuel (which is in fact an Esso FBO). So you'd be a good candidate for that job (I believe they are looking for fuellers too). As for your class 4, you could probably finish it with McMurray aviation which is next door. Talk to Wade and see if he'd be able to work something out with you.

Re: Air Mikisew

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:23 am
by double-j
SkyWolfe wrote:
korean_pielot wrote:Looks like Air Mikisew in YMM is hiring, I hear it's a good company to work for, anyone getting any interviews?
Not what I heard.
Perhaps they were crybabies..

:'(

Re: Air Mikisew

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:02 am
by Just another canuck
double-j wrote:Perhaps they were crybabies..

:'(
Well, the one guy I know that worked there is an extremely smart guy. He's a bigger guy, in shape and worked very hard at the company I knew him at. He was nothing but professional and never a "cry baby". I won't say exactly what he said about the place but they weren't good things. I have no reason to believe he would lie.

Re: Air Mikisew

Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:15 am
by CoolGuy
If any new hires have questions about the company message me, I fly for them. I also have a place for rent.

Re: Air Mikisew

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:27 pm
by 6ftsnipe
top notch company. maintenance is excellent. The DOM does run a very tight ship, and keeps things running smoothly.

Re: Air Mikisew

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:55 pm
by double-j
I also am an air mikisew alumni, and although no longer work there wonder how many people who slag it actually have worked there?

jj

Re: Air Mikisew

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:38 pm
by 4hrstovegas
I also worked there for a number of years, and can tell you that it's a unique place to get experience and good pay. If you can tough it out on the ground and make flight line, you'll find pay, schedule, and upgrades higher and faster than average. Rent has come down a little with the price of oil, and with the living allowance they offered, you can't live any cheaper in Calgary or Edmonton. LOTS of opportunity to make extra money on the side for the more motivated, too.

Re: Air Mikisew

Posted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:53 pm
by johngalt
Rent hasn't really come down that much. It is still much cheaper to live in Calgary or Edmonton. I could pay mortgage easily on a house in either of those cities for less then my rent. If you are single and can rent just a room from someone then you might be able to get by and actually make money here. A lot of people I know there seem to like it. The ramp wait is a bit on the long side... 12 to 18 months from what I have seen. In this market I think its a bit of a no brainer for a low time pilot.

Re: Air Mikisew

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:00 am
by square
Yeah AM is operated by the band. MCFN. If anyone's wondering 'what the significance of that is,' it's that they're there to provide a service, not to be profitable. They fly anyway.

I've heard of one year on the ramp, and I've heard the average wait is 2 years. 2 f'n years, god. But the dudes that get on seem to like it. They even have a little float op, a 185 and a Caravan on wheels/amphibs as the season would dictate.

Maintenance seems to be okay, though they tend to wait til a lot of shit's clapped out before they move in to fix it all.

Truly though, once you get past the ground phase of your employment, the progression is truly sweet. Navajo FO to 99 FO to 200 or BAe31 FO, then to PA31 captain, 99 captain and 200 or BAe31 captain. There was some mention of swapping to a Navajo right seat to left seat to 99 right seat to left seat, etc. type of system but I don't know if it got implemented.

Oh also, the above does not apply if you turn out to be useless or a knob. But if you're a good dude or gal it seems your loyalty will be rewarded with loyalty.

Re: Air Mikisew

Posted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:25 pm
by LongShanks
You will find Air Mikisew a great place to be depending on your attitude. You will find that those that trash the Company are those that don't get what they want when they want it, and indeed for those people I cry for them every night, well most nights. You will find that there your career is up to you. You will find yourself learning a lot. Fort McMurray is alright again depending on your attitude. I worked there for many years and although the "starting out" was a real challenge Air Mikisew was a lot of fun with great people. Oh and btw, I think most people suck, so I'm giving high praise here.

Cheers.