Page 1 of 1
Central America
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 6:06 pm
by 27pilot
Yes, I know, I know, there's lots of posts about "where's a good job" and "does anybody know about this co ____" and "what are the insurance mins for ___". Well here's another one.
Anybody know of opportunities in Central America for a Spanish-speaking Canadian with about 600 h TT?
I already looked into Belize and Costa Rica and they're a no-go for me. I was thinking SE or light twin work in Guatemala, Honduras, Panama or Nicaragua. I'm aware the equipment is bad and you can't trust anyone. Lots of days flying hot, heavy with the owner saying one rough mag is ok! (and another question, are the women prettier in Yellowknife or Latin America?)
Greatly appreciate any info/working knowledge from anyone.
ps. I've also done some calls to Africa and I have some info on Kenya if anyone is interested. Happy to share with someone.
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 7:30 pm
by Beacon Final
Ola!
I have heard of the UN hiring pilots, in this region but they owned their own planes. Aside from flying drugs, I would say try resorts or companies (not aviation ones) that own planes that fly their people / cargo etc around. Just b/c a company has a plane, does not mean they have a flight department. Calling and speaking with a guy that has nothing to do with flying in the company and asking him about hiring for flying could lead you to getting the guy that hires for flying b/c he owes him a favor etc..... That region is run quite differently than the up here. But I am sure your aware of this. That is all I can say, that the jobs are there, its just a matter of finding them. This is how a friend of mine got a job down there, in a different field. Just going out on a limb or trying things you think could never work actually did.
As for your Africa info, I have a friend (no not me) with some time in that is looking for some adventure and has spoke of heading that way. So any tips would be great.
Thanks and good luck.
BF
Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 9:48 pm
by 27pilot
For Kenya, the best thing to do is contact the schools at Wilson Airport. They can tell you how to get the local license. If you can manage the license conversion, I am told there are lots of jobs for low-time pilots. Unfortunately, I misplaced the contact info on a guy I used to email who flew a Caravan there. I was talked to JM at Pro IFR recently. He has a former student who flew in Nigeria where there are a number of jobs but it is also very dangerous due to the abundance of crime and racial conflicts. That's what I know for now. Sorry I can't be of more help with more specifics.
Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:05 pm
by Panama Jack
27pilot,
As far as Central America goes, Belize IS the best chance for a Canadian pilot to get a job, since all the other countries have strict policies against employing foreigners on little more than a very temporary basis when no locals are able or willing. This of course is also the case for Belize, however it does happen more often than not. 600 Hours TT is not a logbook figure that is likely to get you noticed anywhere, unfortunately. Sadly, your chances are better back in Canada.
I also spoke to a Canadian pilot who flew for a while in Guatemala, but it seemed like his employment was rather short lived, not completely formal and he wasn't too welcome. Had some extremely nice pictures though of flying there though.
Never been to Yellowknife, but I find Latinas to be irresistable . . . in fact I married one 8 years ago. Central American aviation cannot be broadly painted as a wasteland of unairworthy aircraft and shady characters. Yes, of course it does happen but it also does in Canada.
Don't believe me, check out this article:
Aeroman (El Salvador)
Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:41 pm
by 27pilot
Panama Jack,
Thanks for your info. I know I shouldn't overgeneralize too much. But I often look for trends while noting that there are exceptions. I have been told that Groupa Taca is a good airline in Latin America. I would have thought that countries in Central America would need more pilots becuase they don't have great infrastructure for training. I'm going down there for a holiday one day anyways, so I'll do some looking around myself.
I see you're quite active on this site. I've had a couple laughs from some of your commnts.
I love Latinas. I've had a Mexican girlfriend for a while and now I don't think I would ever want a non-latina again.
Me gustan las latinas!
Posted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 4:38 pm
by Panama Jack
Well, no pilot shortage yet. In most of the Central American countries, wages for pilots in time building type of jobs tend to be at the starvation, hope you live at home variety. The added benefit is having to deal with high crime levels in places like Guatemala City, Belize City, San Salvador, Tegucigalpa, Managua or San Jose. Some of these places are not too bad if you can make enough to have your own car and afford to live in a more prosperous part of the city, but if you live in the barrio and ride the bus, and especially if you are not a local, it is only a question of when you will be a crime victim.
Most of the countries will simply not allow a foreigner to work in Civil Aviation unless there is a shortage of qualified persons. The last time this happened in Nicaragua, it was because there were not enough qualified Antonov AN-32 pilots, so they brought in a few people from the Ukraine to train some of the locals and fly the line for a few months. Meanwhile, the local pilot's union had a fit, winging to the press that they have members who drive taxis and sell water at intersections (which they have been doing since the end of the 80´s . . . sadly many of these guys will never fly again). COPA Airlines in Panama contracted some ex-pat Boeing 737 Captains a few years ago, don't know if they are still doing so.
Although this is not a very active page, there is discussion dedicated to the region on the
PPRuNe Caribbean and Latin America Forum-- should keep you busy surfing for a while. We're a cranky bunch-- make sure you read Captain Stable's sticky post about Job opportunities in the region before you ask the obvious.

Posted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 5:38 pm
by 27pilot
Thanks, Panama Jack. I didn't know there was such a big resource of info at pprune. I surfed it for a while today.
good luck
Posted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 4:20 pm
by DriftWood
Check out the bay islands Theres a guy who operates some 72's out of La Ceiba. I think. Met some cool Eruopean pilots there. Then scope the domestic airport in Costa Rica. Company there running twin otters. Seems good. May need to lurk though. Doable though. Just stay at the hostels an surf while you wait if you can offord the time. Better than the knife I tell ya. I did not scope Panama well enough but a great place to live. I don't know, but assume Panama Jack knows more than I do about there aviation. I could handle living there though, there used to Gringo's, but Panama Jack is right. Just a matter of time before you a victim of crime. Just don't get shot, you'll be fine. If you come up empty handed at least get some some Private licence's in the countries you visit. Bring your log book and liscenses. No test or anything. Just about 30 bucks US and you got youself a kick ass souvenier.
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:32 am
by Radial
For anyone who's visiting central America, Nicaragua in particular, make sure you do some research before you go. I was there recently and the crime in the major centers like Managua is unlike anything I've seen. DON'T rent a car, DON'T drive for that matter. A gringo driving there attracts cops like flies on sh8te. I saw the wrong end of more gun barrels than Billy the kid and the "fines" really added up. Can sorta understand though, cuz they only make like $30 a month
On a positive note; the general public outside Managua were all very nice, scenery and beaches were great. Oh yeah, beer is cheap and food fantastic.
Very little opportunity in the aviation industry from what I could see. I'd bet that will change as it becomes a more mainstream tourist destination.
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:17 am
by Panama Jack
Upchuck wrote:For anyone who's visiting central America, Nicaragua in particular, make sure you do some research before you go. I was there recently and the crime in the major centers like Managua is unlike anything I've seen. DON'T rent a car, DON'T drive for that matter. A gringo driving there attracts cops like flies on sh8te. I saw the wrong end of more gun barrels than Billy the kid and the "fines" really added up. Can sorta understand though, cuz they only make like $30 a month
On a positive note; the general public outside Managua were all very nice, scenery and beaches were great. Oh yeah, beer is cheap and food fantastic.
Very little opportunity in the aviation industry from what I could see. I'd bet that will change as it becomes a more mainstream tourist destination.
From your comments, you've obviously
NEVER been to Guatemala City (

) or San Salvador (

). Where the heck did spend your time in Managua-- at the Mercado Oriental????

Or are are you talking about the last week or so with the students going bizerk in Managua?
In Nicaragua, very and I mean VERY little opportunity in the aviation industry . . . well let me qualify that. They were advertising for Helicopter pilots a few weeks ago, and the regional (La Costeña) is said to be hiring . . . OK, well, same boss. The $600 a month jobs will probably be filled by local pilots-- try getting la Direccion de Aeronautica Civil to give you a licence or validation as a foreigner . . . in Nicaragua, simply not gonna happen.
However, the beer is good and cheap (I prefer Toña

-- be sure to try Flor de Caña rum though too ) and a nice lobster dinner at Hotel Suyapa in Poneloya is about $9, the waves are great if you pick up a boogie board.
Managua is not a tourist "destination", but then again, and with the exception of perhaps Panama City, none of the Central American capitals are. Where to go in Nicaragua??? Try Leon, Granada, Masaya, San Juan del Sur, Corn Island, Isla de Ometepe, Poneloya, or if you have some coin to toss about . . . Barcelo Montelimar (not a budget traveller destination, albeit a good value).
Coming full circle back to the topic at hand, if it is a job you're looking for, your money is better spent, in Canada, on gas for your Ford Pinto and checking for prospective opportunities with the float plane operator at Big Trout Lake or the guy who runs the Navajo with the oil-leak at Cupcake Corner.
Posted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:22 pm
by Radial
Nope, never been to those cities...luckily. Spent most of my time in San Juan del Sur, Leon, Granada and a few days on Omatepe. Tona(sp) and Victoria (beers) tasted the same to me, Flor de cana rum flowed like water...and the surfing was good north of San Juan del sur. Didn't go to the Corn Islands, heard from a couple other Canadians and Nicas alike that its getting a bit rough there. BTW, what happened with the students in Managua going berzerk?
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:05 am
by Panama Jack
If you read Spanish, then check out the La Prensa website at
http://www.laprensa.com.ni
Basically, protests over the bus fares rising as a response to rising costs of fuel getting out of hand.[/url]
Posted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 6:43 am
by Radial
Thanks