Headset Question

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Post Reply
guyindasky
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Headset Question

Post by guyindasky »

What is everybody using these days? I'm torn between the Telex Airman 750 and 850.

Coming from turboprops I've used a Bose X the last couple of years and loved it.

Whats the noise level like up front in the NG?
---------- ADS -----------
 
LisaS
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: Headset Question

Post by LisaS »

The NG is very loud up front. I have been using the Telex 750 for years and it does a great job. I wear one side off so I can hear my partner. I find I have to turn up the volume more than say someone with an earbud type, but works just fine.
---------- ADS -----------
 
User avatar
KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11
Posts: 3619
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:24 pm

Re: Headset Question

Post by KAG »

I borrowed a 750 but didn't like it. I own a 5x5 pro3 and hate it so I'm about to buy the 850- which I have tried and like it a lot.
---------- ADS -----------
 
The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
moe
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 250
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 3:20 pm

Re: Headset Question

Post by moe »

had the 750, then switched to 850 a few years ago. 850 offers good noise canceling and is light with no clamping force on cranium. for t/o and landing segments, one ear piece is usually off to hear cohort. during cruise both are on. i find the noise canceling reduces fatigue somewhat. fits easily into flightbag and no batteries. develops small fault line in hairdo, that's the only negative.
---------- ADS -----------
 
WJ700
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 874
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:48 am
Location: in front of my computer.

Re: Headset Question

Post by WJ700 »

Exactly as Moe said above. I think the 850 is the best bang for the buck too when looking at comparable products. Telex was always good to me for warranty and non-warranty issues with the last headset, a Telex 5x5. It had almost 4000 hours on it but my hearing has definitely been deteriorating from sitting in the NG so I wanted some protection. I use both ear cups as much as possible now.
---------- ADS -----------
 
guyindasky
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Headset Question

Post by guyindasky »

Thanks for the great info. Looks like I'll be grabbing an 850 for myself. I'm very excited to be joining the team August 1.
---------- ADS -----------
 
LisaS
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 143
Joined: Thu May 06, 2010 3:49 pm

Re: Headset Question

Post by LisaS »

Welcome aboard! :drink:
---------- ADS -----------
 
Old Dog Flying
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1259
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:18 pm

Re: Headset Question

Post by Old Dog Flying »

I have two sets of Lightspeed Zulus in the little Grumman. They are light weight, comfortable, great noise reduction..and in the noisy little beast, they are the best bang for the buck
---------- ADS -----------
 
Jastapilot
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 832
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:42 pm

Re: Headset Question

Post by Jastapilot »

2 thumbs up for my telex 850 over here!
---------- ADS -----------
 
Tiny Voices
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2005 1:46 pm

Re: Headset Question

Post by Tiny Voices »

The NG flight deck is right at that level where sustained exposure can result in permanent hearing damage. I'd say if it you find it comfortable to wear, just rock the Bose before you make the decision to spend money on something you may not like or need. I've tried the QC 15 with the uFlymike with good results. I find it light weight and comfortable, with great noise cancelling and clear communications. Wearing it, I had the volume turned all the way down on my audio panel. Only problem I found with the setup is that the mike attaches to the left ear cup, so you have to route the cable in front of you or behind your back, and the boom arm is a little short for when you need to cock an ear cup off to hear the guy/gal next to you.
---------- ADS -----------
 
piggy
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 100
Joined: Thu May 05, 2005 7:09 pm

Re: Headset Question

Post by piggy »

i agree with tiny voices. I found the 850 and the sennheiser 46 as well did nothing much for noise protection and I think there would be minimal fatique reduction with these. I went with the new bose a20, although quite expensive. Its noise reduction is as good as the sennhauser 25 i used to use on the RJ. Its battery life is incredible. bluetooth works well with my iphone. There is some clamping pain on occasion with the a20-on the top of the head. If I change the position slightly it goes away. I compared the a20 to their previous bose headset and the a20 is quite a bit lighter. Until i get some thinner sungIasses, I wear my sunglasses on top of the ear cups as it hurts when worn under the cups. i can wear glasses under the cups for T/O and LDG with one cup off one ear, and it starts to hurt maybe after 5min.
I had the same issue with sennhauser 25 however.
Most guys I can hear with the cups on both ears.
i am happy with it as I don't finish work with my head ringing. Big reduction in fatique-esp if you do a lot of OT

Update: I figured out my sunglasses ...no problem now, no pain at all
---------- ADS -----------
 
Last edited by piggy on Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
saltypilot
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 50
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2004 7:56 am

Re: Headset Question

Post by saltypilot »

I think I'm going to stick with my bose x for a while and see how it goes. Also looking forward to joining the team Aug 1. See you there.

Salty
---------- ADS -----------
 
Go Guns
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 967
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 6:22 pm
Location: on my way

Re: Headset Question

Post by Go Guns »

FWIW I've been using the Sennheiser 25-KA for the whole year and a half I've been here and I still love it. Light weight, doesn't get in the way of glasses, I find it very comfortable and the noise cancelling is great. Every time I let the other guy try it he can't believe how much noise it reduces. I have four rechargeable AA batteries and that seems to always last me a 4 or 5 day pairing.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2459
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:34 am
Location: Canada

Re: Headset Question

Post by Donald »

What;s the cheapest place anyone has found a new (not refurb) Telex 850?
---------- ADS -----------
 
guyindasky
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed Jun 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: Headset Question

Post by guyindasky »

This seems to be the cheapest I've found. $399

http://www.theaviationwarehouse.com/Tel ... 17-000.htm

Don't know much about these guys though. Ebay had a few for $420 but hosed you on the shipping. Most of the other Canadian Suppliers started at $480.
---------- ADS -----------
 
W5
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1005
Joined: Wed Feb 18, 2004 4:44 pm
Location: Edmonton,AB

Re: Headset Question

Post by W5 »

Well, ....being retired, I can offer my Telex 750 for any reasonable bids.
---------- ADS -----------
 
bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1360
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:35 am
Location: Canada

Re: Headset Question

Post by bcflyer »

I notice a few of you mention taking one side of your headset off to hear you cohort in the cockpit. Doesn't the NG have an intercom? Just curious as the only time I have expose an ear in the EMB is if the other guy/gal has their headset completely off.
---------- ADS -----------
 
J31
Rank (9)
Rank (9)
Posts: 1253
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:21 am

Re: Headset Question

Post by J31 »

bcflyer wrote:Doesn't the NG have an intercom?
Like all older Boeing's it has a switched intercom but is not used.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “WestJet”