Capt. Dick Fish (retired) killed in accident

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

turbo-beaver
Rank 3
Rank 3

Capt. Dick Fish (retired) killed in accident

Post by turbo-beaver »

---------- ADS -----------

frog
Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Capt. Dick Fish (retired) killed in accident

Post by Raymond Hall »

It is never good to hear about the demise of one of our peers, but I find this news particularly disenheartening. Dick and I spent many, many hours both behind the controls of a DC-9 and over the suds discussing life and the world's problems. We had more than one long conversation about his motorcycle exploits. He retrofitted his C206 to put his Hawg in the back, then stopped at hundreds of back-country strips all over North America, including Mexico, to set himself free on his bike.

He told me that the only accident that he ever had on his bike was in Mexico when a truck ahead of him spilled diesel fuel on a curve in the highway. That is like KY Jelly, and he hit the patch at around 50 MPH, and cartwheeled off the road.

He was a superb pilot--an incredibly brilliant and inciteful individual whose intelligence was more often that not camouflaged by his tough exterior and rough edges. He took no guff from anyone, including management, and had absolutely no tolerance for idiots (of which he met a few). He was an extremely shrewd investor, primarily as a result of his contrarian attitude and contempt for BS, and was constantly making money on his investments when most others were losing their shirts.

Few people knew that he learned to fly when he was about 12 years old and had literally hundreds of hours both dual and solo time before he was able to get his licence at 17.

He started with Air Canada as a DC-8 oiler on July 4, 1967, the same day I took my first flying lesson at Pitt Meadows. He told me that he used to have to keep a large coil binder with notes of how each of the Captains of the day used to use their own operating procedures, so the only way that he could keep them apart was to brief himself from his notes prior to arriving on the flight deck. Of course, that was before the 1970 DC-8 accident in YYZ.

He spent two years researching energy efficiency in homes prior to building his house on his Bison farm in Teulon. The house, when built, consumed about $25 worth of energy a year, was wired to switch automatically from the power grid to his own secure generator in the event that either the local power failed (which it did quite regularly), or the Gestapo (if you get my drift) came to deprive him of what was rightly his. I don't know, but I suspect that his arsenal included lots more than the Rottweiler that he commando trained.

Part of me died in that accident. Despite his sometimes less-than-congenial outward appearances and mannerisms, he was one hell of a man. Working with him was definitely one of the highlights of my career, if for nothing else than to experience some of his wisdom and to share a few laughs at the follies of the lives of some around us.

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Well put together thoughts/commentary on your late friend and flying colleague Mr. Hall. Obviously I never met this gentleman nor ever heard of him but with his interesting ‘off the rack” personality and a seemingly no-nonsense approach, he is a breed on to himself that, more than likely, never see again. Which is quite sad?
Best
OF
:(

Lost in Saigon
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Lost in Saigon »

EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

Just came upon this post today.
Sorry to hear this news, i had the priviledge to ride Captain Fish's, along with Capt. T. Snihur's, jumpseat on the relativly new A320 on an YOW-YVR leg back in 93. I was at the time a keen private pilot and was totally in awe of their stories and experiences.
I still have his business card for Interlake Bison.
Condolances to all who knew him.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

Sounds like he lived a hell of a life and on his own terms. Good for him. Sad to hear the loss of what sounded like a great aviator and gentleman.

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

flying4dollars wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 11:20 am Sad to hear the loss of what sounded like a great aviator and gentleman.
He would have been the first to tell you that he was no gentleman.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

Jishu wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:43 am
Raymond Hall wrote: Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:57 pm Few people knew that he learned to fly when he was about 12 years old and had literally hundreds of hours both dual and solo time before he was able to get his licence at 17GBWhatsApp APK.
That is an incredible feat he achieved at just 12. And i didn't even know how to ride a bike until 18 & got license at 20. :prayer:

RIP Cap.
That just means you have parents with some means. My son has done the same thing.

Return to “Air Canada”