AVCANADA

It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:44 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:31 am 
Rank 0
Rank 0

Which is the best flight school in Canada ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:42 am 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Little bit of a subjective question don't you think?
I'm just finishing up my CPL at the Moncton Flight College. I can't imagine training anywhere else up to this stage.
~cheers~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 11:23 am 
Rank 8
Rank 8

I don't go to Moncton but I would have to say its one of the better flight schools. I guess its the Embry Riddle of Canada :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 12:18 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Most people will only attend one. And as with any other major purchase, they will try to rationalize that their money was well spent, even if it wasn't.

For example, when was the last time you met someone with an $80,000 SUV and he told you what a pick of sh1t it was, and he wished he'd never bought it?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:29 pm 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Generally you will get a subjective opinion when asking these questions.

How can anyone give a objective opinion on flight instruction when their knowledge of same starts at zero.

If your instructor was friendly, helpful and you liked him / her then of course you will think they were the greatest.

Far to often later in your career you will realize that the instructor you held in such high esteem was incompetent.

So asking these questions of students is not really the way to get a factual answer.

Cat

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 1:56 pm 
Rank 0
Rank 0

Depends on what you think is good in a flight school or do you want a flying club. $, #of aircraft, maintence, #of instructors, fees/policies are all factors in my decision of where to fly....Over the last 10 years, I've belonged to Aviation International, WWFC, Peninsula Air, Aero Academy all had their good points and bad points. If you want a lot of Aircraft to choose from, WWFC - if you want good instructors, its a crap shoot really all have good and bad.....costs - again, crap shoot--all are expensive, it is aviation afterall....anyway, just my 2 cents...

Post subject: Attention Cat Driver
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 5:52 pm 
Rank 2
Rank 2

deer Cat Driver,

the pikture of the kitty is funnee....it make me laufgh cuz it thinks its peeple and can drive a car:D the bestest part of the pikture is the kat

by the way No Conflict can you chainge your pikture thing? i don't like the road sine :( but i like the "you make kitty scared" much more better :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 2:36 am 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Location: Cowering in my little room because the Water Cooler is locked.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:10 am 
Rank 2
Rank 2

I don't know which is the best, but I can certainly say that it's not Seneca College. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:40 am 
Rank 8
Rank 8

I think the best school is the one with the highest student satisfaction rate, but I think Moncton is the most reputable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:58 am 
Rank 2
Rank 2

I've visited quite a few schools from coast to coast, and flew with a few.

Moncton is deffinetly one of the best if not the best. You will find students from all over the world in Moncton. The JAA program is starting to pick up with a bunch of guys from the UK training there currently.

It might become quite busy in Moncton starting in Sept. as they are finalizing a deal with China Airlines to train pilots from zero hours. I think its 20 pilots initally, then more next year. There is also talk of more new aircraft which is cool....

We'll see what happens.

They updated their website recently, check it out:

http://www.mfc.nb.ca

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:12 am 
Rank 0
Rank 0

can someone tell me if brampton flight college is still in bussines?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 2:30 pm 
Rank 4
Rank 4

172 capitan wrote:
can someone tell me if brampton flight college is still in bussines?

Yes, they are (as far as I know). http://bramfly.com/college/intro.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:21 pm 
Rank 0
Rank 0

The worst Flight School has to be Pro IFR.
Anyone train there? Hope not (anymore....)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 4:57 pm 
Rank 11
Rank 11

Moncton is is one of the better schools, but there are alot of good schools out there.
I do hear that some of the moncton grads (last couple of years) have had pretty big heads on there shoulders, as most bigger college programs seem to produce.
What you students have to realise is that although you have a shinny new CPL, you have alot to learn. Don't let that diploma go to your head.

Cheers.

Post subject: Re: Attention Cat Driver
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 5:59 pm 
Rank 2
Rank 2

Dyck Hertz wrote:
deer Cat Driver,

the pikture of the kitty is funnee....it make me laufgh cuz it thinks its peeple and can drive a car:D the bestest part of the pikture is the kat

by the way No Conflict can you chainge your pikture thing? i don't like the road sine :( but i like the "you make kitty scared" much more better :D

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND? DID YOU GO TO SCHOOL? :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 4:30 pm 
Rank 4
Rank 4

MRC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2005 6:41 pm 
Rank 7
Rank 7

R2000/1830 wrote:
MRC

Stands for what?

Post subject: Re: Attention Cat Driver
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 12:26 am 
Rank 2
Rank 2

meow wrote:
Dyck Hertz wrote:
deer Cat Driver,

ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR MIND? DID YOU GO TO SCHOOL? :shock:

i still like the kat who can drive the car, it make s me laughf o.k? that litle kitty driver put s a litle cheer in my grei life!!!.....

...And by the way meow, that cat can drive. Can you? I think you'll be able to learn a lot from puss'n'boots :D

Cheers!

Dyck Hertz

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:09 am 
Rank 6
Rank 6

Quote:
The worst Flight School has to be Pro IFR.
Anyone train there? Hope not (anymore....)

This has to be a joke or a troll. Johnny M has been training IFR since before you were a glint in your Daddy's eye. I'd tread lightly on this one as he's a very well-liked and respected guy in the industry; I know guys all over Canada that have trained with Pro and continue to recommend them.

You're entitled to your opinion, but seriously now...anyone who's worked with JM (I've worked with him, not for him) knows what a stand-up guy he is...that's probably why I'm taking your comments like you just told off a friend of mine.

I wouldn't mention your dislike for the company in aviation circles, especially if you're interviewing for a job, even if you have your reasons.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:01 pm 
Rank 4
Rank 4

Mount Royal College

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 3:21 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

King Air Guy:
I have to agree with at least part of your post - students out of a diploma program (weather it's MFC's or not) could very likely have a "big head on their shoulders" (most people that i've met from U of T have a bad case of it regardless of their degree). Personally, I haven't gone down the diploma road. However, in the defence of the rest of the students currently attending MFC, one of the biggest issues that is instilled in us is that 'MFC is not the be all and end all of aviation - you're still going to have to work your ass off when you finish here'. We (the collective we that is) know that when we're done there's still a lot (not "alot") to learn.
~many cheers~

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:15 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Pugster,
While I generally agree with you, and support JM as a person to the max (having known him myself for over 17 years now), I've got to say that any school can have their porblems. While I wouldn't put ProIFR even at the same end of the scale with the worst flight schools in Canada, there are reasons for concern. As an example, when my wife did her IFR groundschool there (many years ago), the instructor was completely unable to teach ADF PDT intercepts. She pretty much had to get up and teach it for the guy so the rest of the class could get it. Who knows, possibly having an off day, but it came across as less than what should be billed as "The Premier IFR School In The Nation". Maybe bitmonx had one of those experiences. Who knows. I would hope he brought his concerns to JM and not just to cyberspace.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 5:56 pm 
Rank 6
Rank 6

I know every school has problems, but putting JM and Pro on the bottom of the list is just ridiculous. I guess I just got kinda uppity because I consider him a friend, and a mentor as well. We could all learn about how to make your clients and students feel welcome and appreciated from JM...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:07 pm 
Top Poster
Top Poster

I also am a friend of Johns and there is no way on earth that he runs a school that can be considered at the bottom of the pile.

Cat

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.