What does Air Canada want to see on a resume

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Joe Blow Schmo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: What does Air Canada want to see on a resume

Post by Joe Blow Schmo »

a photocopy of your ass!
---------- ADS -----------

Dashdriver88
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dashdriver88 »

I know hiring is not for a while so don’t attack. For the future does AC hire without PIC time?

ted_stryker
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by ted_stryker »

Joshc1988 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:30 pm I know hiring is not for a while so don’t attack. For the future does AC hire without PIC time?
You need 2000 hours and an ATPL

Dashdriver88
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dashdriver88 »

Thank you so much. Are you currently at AC?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Joshc1988 wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:30 pm I know hiring is not for a while so don’t attack. For the future does AC hire without PIC time?
Even the flow through pilots from Jazz were being asked “why aren’t you a Captain at Jazz yet?”

Seems to make it clear that AC would like to see Part 705 PIC time if possible. Failing that, Part 704.

The short answer to your question is probably ‘yes’, but you will be competing with OTS pilots with Part 704/705 PIC time, making you likely uncompetitive unless you are an FO on an aircraft over 100,000 lbs MGTOW.

Regardless, the majority of new-hire positions at AC go to Jazz pilots within seniority that meet the minimum application requirements which are 2000 hours and an ATPL sticker in the licence.

Hope this helps.

Canadaflyer46
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Canadaflyer46 »

Better have an aviation diploma/degree if you're an OTS applicant. To have a chance to compete for that 10% of OTS spots. Much more emphasis given to that that the logbook. 705 PIC time helps, but there always seems to be a few corporate/military people in their latest ground schools.

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

I don’t know about hiring but I do know this. When it comes time to upgrade at an airline, previous PIC time will make the process much easier. Having the experience of making the decisions and being the one responsible is invaluable when it’s your turn to move to the left seat.
Just my two cents of course!

Dashdriver88
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Dashdriver88 »

Thanks everyone.

Rooster69
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rooster69 »

ted_stryker wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:41 pm

Not all need an ATPL.

charlo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by charlo »

been applying for the last 5 years before the pandemic, FO 330/737 at ts, some twin otter pic, not much but anyway never got a call and probably never will. If you're not at jazz good luck, having a degree, aviation college or military flying will help a lot. If you're a girl or a minority that will also help !

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Rooster69 wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 6:58 am
ted_stryker wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 3:41 pm

Not all need an ATPL.
You need an ATPL.

Job Requirements

2000 hours of fixed wing flying time

Completion of schooling to the university entrance level

Ability to pass the Air Canada and Transport Canada medical and visual acuity requirements for a Category 1 medical certificate

Canadian Airline Transport Pilot Licence (ATPL), current Group 1 (Multi-engine) Instrument Rating

Canadian citizenship or landed immigrant status

Rooster69
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rooster69 »

I know of one who didn’t have an ATPL.

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

Rooster69 wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 6:26 am I know of one who didn’t have an ATPL.
I second what altiplano said; you need one. Even if your mystery friend didn’t, those days are long over now.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I would say that the top skills AC wants, in roughly this order are; Being of a specific ethnic group, having a specific chromosome group (XX), having military flying experience, having an ATPL, having a university degree, having an aviation college diploma, speaking french, having a short resume that's a very straight line (flight school, tier 3 connector, tier 2 connector, and them), and then hours.

And there's a few thousand exceptions to this, everybody know a guy who didn't have any of these and got on.

hamstandard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by hamstandard »

charlo wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:59 pm been applying for the last 5 years before the pandemic, FO 330/737 at ts, some twin otter pic, not much but anyway never got a call and probably never will. If you're a girl or a minority that will also help !
Probably true.

Who wants to bet that this is a future AC pilot right here that will talk about a lesson learned to ensure that the pre-filled boxes remain filled. A minor crash or two also helps with life-lessons learned.

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world/th ... d=msedgntp

The Student Pilot Who Was Seen Vaping On The Sunwing Party Plane Just Issued An Apology

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

charlo wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:59 pm If you're a girl or a minority that will also help !
hamstandard wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:35 pm A minor crash or two also helps with life-lessons learned.
Remember, kids: when things don’t go your way, always make sure it’s someone else’s fault. Saves the trouble of learning something from it.

FL030
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FL030 »

I don't think it's been mentioned yet in this thread but I believe a large block of PIC time over 12500lbs was instrumental in my being invited for an interview. I'm not sure how much it helps in getting hired, but for the algorithm that gets your foot in the door to talk to them I believe it was crucial in my case.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

This is purely andecdotal, and I don't work for AC but have many friends from different paths that have been hired over the last 10 years. Everyone I can think of off the top of my head was in a current command position, everything from a BE10, Q, RJ, E175, etc, but all left seat.
I know that at Sky, you generally weren't considered for flow until you upgraded, even if only for a month.

So I'd say that's pretty important unless it's just coincidence from the guys I know.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

Well to put your conspiracy theories to the test, my PIT course 4 years ago (over 30 in the class) consisted of 2 females, about 5 visible minorities, and 4 francophones. A look through the other new hire groups over the past umpteen years, the majority are white male anglophones.

While previously a lot of emphasis for OTS hired was placed on post secondary, I believe current management has other priorities, or at least will once all the furloughs finally get recalled.

Everything mentioned in this thread is good to have, and the weighting of each of the categories may get reassessed from time to time. I don’t think anyone has ever been turned down for having too much PIC time!

Unfortunately we never know why certain people don’t get hired. Maybe the others interviewing the same day were just so good that your interview, which on any other day would have been “good” gets assessed as “weak”… I know the interviewers are supposed to compare you to the “standard” and not to other applicants, but I also know that human nature makes that difficult.

They do seem to look highly on people interviewing for the second or third time! So if you don’t/didn’t get hired the first time, reapply when you’re allowed to.

Full disclosure: I interviewed in May 2012, and got PFO’d in July 2012…. Meanwhile people I worked with, some with less experience, less education, etc. than I did got hired. I was a little disappointed, but I continued to improve my resume over the next 4.5 years. Reapplied in 2017, and got the job offer in Dec 2017.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Command on large aircraft absolutely is a thing that scores with them IIRC they used to have a breakdown for it on their web application. Not sure now...

Return to “Air Canada”