Thanks Guys ...it has been a blast..but then I didn't have to bust my ass like some of you did hauling garbage for a living. I only had students trying to kill me!
Congrats Barney!
You were happy and lucky to live during the golden age of flying in Canada.
Actually, it was the golden age for everything.
Sixty years of flying is a feat by any standard. I am sure that you have seen and experienced more than any of us can dream about. I am sure all here wish to hear more stories, more experiences from that lifetime of flying.
Keep flying!
Keep writing.
expat
Congrats Barney! That's awesome! Something for me to shoot for just holding a medical for that long. Time to relook at the personal health situation and pass on the donuts This desk job is killing me. I'll hit 28 years since my first flying lesson and 36 years since my first "co-pilot" flight in a Beech Sundowner (Birthday gift from an old controller named Ron Greenwood)
I am a late commer to aviation here, I didn't start my training until June 23 1953....like Barney I soloed in a Fleet Canuck CF-EBE.....same paint job....blue and yellow.
Very well done Barney. You learned on a wonderful trainer when they were almost brand new and you obviously learned well to still be flying sixty years on.
As it said in the before landing checklist at the Edmonton Flying Club, last item:
Congratulations ! A friend sent me this and I found it so true !
Once the wings go on, they never come off whether they can be seen or not. It fuses to the soul through adversity, fear and adrenaline, and no one who has ever worn them with pride, integrity and guts can ever sleep through the 'call of the wild' that wafts through bedroom windows in the deep of the night.
When a good flyer leaves the 'job' and retires, many are jealous, some are pleased and yet others, who may have already retired, wonder. We wonder if he knows what he is leaving behind, because we already know. We know, for example, that after a lifetime of camaraderie that few experience, it will remain as a longing for those past times. We know in the world of flying, there is a fellowship which lasts long after the flight suits are hung up in the back of the closet. We know even if he throws them away, they will be on him with every step and breath that remains in his life. We also know how the very bearing of the man speaks of what he was and in his heart still is.
Because we flew, we envy no man on earth.
Nosewheel: Thanks very much for adding that..how true! Aviation is really a very large family that, no matter how many times we may disagree with the opinions of the members of the family, we still have time to laugh at our selves over a beer...or two ...