Antarctica
Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog
-
Just another canuck
- Rank 10

- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 6:21 am
- Location: The Lake.
Antarctica
I am looking for all information on the topic. Specifically, what to wear but also all and any relevant information you may think is useful. I have my Canada Goose from the Arctic, but am under the impression this may be too much for most of my duration there... Depending of course, where you are based. I'm currently looking at a variety of wool pants... I'm leaning towards the mackinaws. Also looking at some different gore products. As far as boots go, I've found a nice gore Cabelas pair good to minus 100 but haven't purchased anything yet. I have a gore pair of Solomon's I already own that I wear ice fishing all winter and never get cold in, but thought I should get something a little bulkier to bring as well. Irish setter and Baffin also make a some good boots that I was considering, but the Baffins might be a little too big?? Also, there are the famous bunny boots, but it seems like outdated technology no?? I've done the arctic so I'm pretty sure I can manage the packing list but other opinions can never hurt.
Anything else like facilities, sleeping arrangements, etc,? I don't see how I can head down with any less than two hockey bags full plus my pack. Okay, help me out guys and girls and feel free to PM.
Cheers.
JAC
Anything else like facilities, sleeping arrangements, etc,? I don't see how I can head down with any less than two hockey bags full plus my pack. Okay, help me out guys and girls and feel free to PM.
Cheers.
JAC
Re: Antarctica
which base are you going to? i can give you more detailed info later, i'm sure JC will also post about 4 pages of good stuff.
i wore almost everyday i was there: carhartt winter pants (love them), mark's work warehouse moon boots, pj pants, a t-shirt , a hoodie and a thin northface windbreaker.... i only had to wear the canada goose parka 3 times... twice at south pole and once when the wind picked up on some glacier. gloves and socks are gold, if you're on the american contract they deck you out quite nicely so do what we all do and take advantage of this! it's amazing how little clothes you actually need for your time down there, you end up wearing the same stuff over and over... bring a few pairs of shorts for the ferry trip and leave room in your bag for all the crap you'll buy at every place you stop... like i said post where you're going and i think all your questions will be answered.... have fun!
lots of camera batteries!!!!
jet.
i wore almost everyday i was there: carhartt winter pants (love them), mark's work warehouse moon boots, pj pants, a t-shirt , a hoodie and a thin northface windbreaker.... i only had to wear the canada goose parka 3 times... twice at south pole and once when the wind picked up on some glacier. gloves and socks are gold, if you're on the american contract they deck you out quite nicely so do what we all do and take advantage of this! it's amazing how little clothes you actually need for your time down there, you end up wearing the same stuff over and over... bring a few pairs of shorts for the ferry trip and leave room in your bag for all the crap you'll buy at every place you stop... like i said post where you're going and i think all your questions will be answered.... have fun!
lots of camera batteries!!!!
jet.
-
just curious
- Rank Moderator

- Posts: 3592
- Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2004 9:29 am
- Location: The Frozen North
- Contact:
-
Just another canuck
- Rank 10

- Posts: 2083
- Joined: Wed May 21, 2008 6:21 am
- Location: The Lake.

