My First Time

Discuss topics relating to Westjet.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Post Reply
b767jetmec
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:56 am
Location: North of Nowhere

My First Time

Post by b767jetmec »

Recently, okay about a week ago, I flew on Westjet. Yes it was my first time because I`m employed by the other airline.
First off, checking in was a little slow but I blame that mainly on the fact that we were flying to Tampa so it was the swiping of the passports 10 times that started to piss me off, not the gate agent per se. Got to our gate, again pissed off cause I could see Tim Horton`s but it wasn`t accessible from my side of the terminal, again not WJ`s fault. Once they called for boarding, we (5 of us) proceeded to the gate. Well here we are sitting on the plane and I`m thinking where the hell is everyone? Yes we were greeted on board the aircraft, but only after I asked the in-charge to come out of the flight deck. We sat in the aircraft for 5 minutes when I just had to ask. "Excuse me, is this the flight to Tampa?" "No sir, this is the flight to Orlando." This I blame on WJ for not having anyone direct us to the proper plane. 25 minute delay and we were finally airborne. The flight was rough once we got a little further south. This I blame on hurricane Denis. On approach to TPA, I gotta tell ya, it was really rough, but the captain, I wish I could remember her name, did a fantastic job of landing in those nasty conditions. The back end crew was alright, pleasant but nothing special. Thank God, they didn`t decide to have some dumbass toilet paper race or sing stupid songs. By the way, we flew on a -700 and your inflight mag UP, says that all -700 are equiped with sat TV. Well it wasn`t!
The flight back was fine, but the incharge was a bit crusty, never once did she smile. This time we flew back on a -800. Where`s the boarding music, were`s the headsets for the inflight tunes? Good thing I brought my own.
All in all, it was a good flight. If I were to rate the Westjet experience, I`d give it a 6.5. Would I fly with WJ again? Yes, if the situation presents itself again.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Boeing just does it better!
Flapsforty
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 30
Joined: Sun May 15, 2005 9:53 am

Post by Flapsforty »

You were on the -800 if there were no TV's. All -700's are TV equiped.

Cheers.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Trevor
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Alberta

Post by Trevor »

So of all your comments, you had an issue about getting on a plane going to a different city, and weren't impressed with the inflight entertainment.

You didn't mention which city you departed from, but I've never seen a gate agent let someone go down the gate if they're on the wrong flight. Could this have been a split gate (ie: turn left for gate A, right for B)? Please help us out here.

You're supposed to show your boarding pass to the gate agent, then again to the flight attendant at the aircraft door during boarding to ensure you're on the right flight. Since there wasn't anyone to greet you as you boarded, I'm assuming that they weren't expecting you, and hense weren't at the door to turn you back at that time.

Was the delay at departure WestJet's fault, or just the natural back log of aircraft at peak times? You weren't clear there. When we do take delays off the gate, our pilots typically try to make the time up enroute.

As for inflight entertainment, as Flapsforty mentioned, all the -700s are TV equipped. None of the -800s are. I'd believe that you were actually on an -800 for both of your flights. WestJet hasn't done toilet paper races or group sing alongs in years. They used to be fun and original and people enjoyed the change.

On your return flight, I'm sorry that you didn't have any music to board to. Since the -800s aren't TV equipped it doesn't make sense to sell you our $1 headsets. "Ladies and gentlemen, for one dollar, you can by a headset that's of no use to you on this flight, but you can use it next time."

I'm glad to read that you still felt your flight was good. Come the end of the summer sched, we'll be certifying the TV system in the -800s and -600s. In time, all planes will have the system before they enter revenue service and our guests won't have to worry about TV or no-TV.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Clear skies and calm winds...

Trevor
b767jetmec
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:56 am
Location: North of Nowhere

Post by b767jetmec »

To answer some questions...
Okay, if I was on a -800, someone screwed up and put -700 emergency cards in the seat pockets. I guess thats not a big deal.
We departed from YYZ. And no, it wasn`t a split gate. And yes, the incharge did look at our boarding passes, but still let us get on the MCO flight.
As for the delay, we were supposed to depart at 10:05 am, but we pushed back at 10:30 am. And yes, the crew made up the time on route. Thanks.
As I said, all in all, I enjoyed the flight and service. Yes I had to pay full fare, but sometimes it sure beats flying standby. I almost forgot what it feels like to wear shorts and flip flops instead of having to dress smart casual when travelling to a hot destination.
Hope I`ve answered your questions. :)
---------- ADS -----------
 
Boeing just does it better!
Trevor
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Alberta

Post by Trevor »

I guess the FA didn't catch it. Sorry about that.

Rereading my original post, I hope I didn't come across as being agressive. I was just trying to answer some questions that I had.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Clear skies and calm winds...

Trevor
prop2jet
Rank 7
Rank 7
Posts: 598
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:50 am

Post by prop2jet »

Pardon my ignorance, but does WJ not advertise in-flight TV? Why then are the 800's not equipped as such? I can understand the classics not having this but the brand new 800's?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Trevor
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Alberta

Post by Trevor »

prop2jet wrote:Pardon my ignorance, but does WJ not advertise in-flight TV? Why then are the 800's not equipped as such? I can understand the classics not having this but the brand new 800's?
All of our advertising includes a rider - "On most flights." Since the majority of our flights are in -700s, statistically its true. Its one of those fine print things that lawyers include and marketing departments dance around (trust me, everyone does the same).

Just because the -800s are brand-new, doesn't mean that they'll have the TVs installed. LiveTV is not a Boeing system, so anyone wishing to use the system must have the equipment installed, tested and certified after the plane is built. This would be like buying a bigger engine to install into (for example) a Cessna. You can buy all the parts but Cessna won't install the engine for you.

We were about 30% done the certification program on the -800s when we encountered a snag with the smoke test. Namely, the machine we needed to accomplish the tests properly was held up in Brazil doing the smoke tests for Jet Blue's Embraers. Rather than proceeding to the point where the -800 would be out of service for the summer schedule (the busy time), we elected to stop the program, keep the plane flying and resume certification in the fall.

When we purchased the LiveTV system, it had only been approved for use on the A320 aircraft. That meant that WestJet had to assume the responsibilty for certifying the system, first into the -700s, then into the rest of our fleet. Many people will recall that it took us almost a year to get the system into our planes. In part it was an over anceous marketing department, a slow engineering vendor in Florida, unfamiliarity with the system in the FAA and Transport Canada, and then two series of flight test - one with winglets, one without. Now that people LiveTV know Boeing planes, and the FAA and TC are familiar with the system, the -800 and -600 follow on programs will go quicker. Plus we don't have to worry about non-winglet aircraft.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Clear skies and calm winds...

Trevor
yxu737
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 7:20 pm

Post by yxu737 »

how many ppl were on your flight?
---------- ADS -----------
 
b767jetmec
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:56 am
Location: North of Nowhere

Post by b767jetmec »

I don`t know the seating capacity, but I`d have to say it was between 85-90% full. Why?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Boeing just does it better!
duplicate2
Rank 5
Rank 5
Posts: 307
Joined: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:54 am
Location: Limbo

Post by duplicate2 »

Although I now realize it's mechanic, when I saw the MEC in 767jetmec I immediately thought Master Executive Council. If that were true, this story probably wouldn't have gone over too well at the red team. I must have unions on the brain.
---------- ADS -----------
 
b767jetmec
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 5:56 am
Location: North of Nowhere

Post by b767jetmec »

Just to clear up some things, yes I am an AME with Air Canada. The reason I bought a ticket with WJ was because all flights to TPA and MCO were all oversold with AC. I could have flown out of Buffalo at a cheaper cost but I`d rather spend my money with a Canadian carrier, with a good safety record.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Boeing just does it better!
yxu737
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 53
Joined: Tue May 24, 2005 7:20 pm

Post by yxu737 »

as an investor just wanted to know
---------- ADS -----------
 
Arthur Q
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 2:18 pm
Location: Vernon, BC

Post by Arthur Q »

Hey Trevor just a bit off topic but have the dweebs from TC approved your world's most expensive sunvisor yet? or are they still trying to re-invent the wheel
---------- ADS -----------
 
Either you're in, or you're in the way
Trevor
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Alberta

Post by Trevor »

With a tone like "dweebs from TC," and "world's most expensive sunvisor," do you really think I should waste my efforts trying to have an intelligent conversation with you?

A little tact, and some manners on any forum will yield a lot less hostility.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Clear skies and calm winds...

Trevor
Arthur Q
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri May 28, 2004 2:18 pm
Location: Vernon, BC

Post by Arthur Q »

Sorry Trevor I don't know what is up your butt! I will make it clear as I guess you did not understand.

1) "dweebs from TC," this was in reference to Transport Canada's continuous delay of getting an approval for the HUD

2) "world's most expensive sunvisor," this is what a few pilots at Westjet refer to the HUD screen as it is covered and above their heads. Thus it basically acts as a $700,000 sunvisor.

As I was not acting tactless or ill-mannered, and since you seem to think I am much too neanderthal to converse with don't waste your considerable time I will ask someone else with lower standards.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Either you're in, or you're in the way
Trevor
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 168
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2005 9:29 am
Location: Alberta

Post by Trevor »

The burr up my butt is that the majority of people posting on this part of the forum have very little in the way of manners. Being Monday morning, I too probably fell into that category. Sorry if I came off too rash - I'll climb down my high horse.

As for the HUDs, its not TC that's delaying their implimentation, its the flight-ops department. When we started buying the NGs, the HUD was a promising tool to help deal with lower weather minimums. Since then, we've held off with finishing the project because of the new presision approaches that airports are undergoing - we did Kelowna a year or two ago. The planes are still being provisioned with the structure and wiring, but not the boxes themselves. That saves a couple hundred grand per plane.

Enough rambling - it'll come down to flight-ops deciding whether or not they think the HUDs will pay off in the long run. According to all the -800 operators, they've all experienced tail strikes and the HUD can act as a guide to prevent over rotation. Maybe that'll finally get them operational.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Clear skies and calm winds...

Trevor
CanadaEH
Rank 8
Rank 8
Posts: 962
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:02 pm
Location: Tuktoyuktuk

Post by CanadaEH »

RNP makes the HUD redundant doesn't it?
---------- ADS -----------
 
Froggy
Rank 1
Rank 1
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2005 4:39 pm

Post by Froggy »

If i'm not mistaken, the huds are not going to be used at all! RNP makes them redundant and therefore the newer aircraft are comming with provisions but no huds for resale value if a buyer wants huds for some reason! The existing huds may some time be removed and sold!
---------- ADS -----------
 
Pajock
Rank 2
Rank 2
Posts: 72
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:08 pm

Post by Pajock »

The aircraft ya flew down on was probably a -700, and was likely the newest one in the fleet. It has no TV's, yet! I know, I flew it the other day. Rest assured, they will all have TV's soon.
---------- ADS -----------
 
tonysoprano
Rank 10
Rank 10
Posts: 2589
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 7:01 pm

Post by tonysoprano »

:smt041
---------- ADS -----------
 
WS739
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:59 pm

Post by WS739 »

I talked to a senior Employee in the Flight Crew training department and he stated the HUD most likely wont be used as RNP will take over and The Hud will be used to inccrease aircraft value in the later years when we decide to sell them off!

WS739
---------- ADS -----------
 
WS739
Rank 3
Rank 3
Posts: 191
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:59 pm

Post by WS739 »

He went on the state the average mileage saved on the new RNP approach into YLW on a flight from YYC-YLW will be 28 Miles!

Times that by 5 flights a day in both directions = huge cost savings!

I had a look at the approach when the were doing testing in YLW and from what i saw they were pretty Awesome!

Question though--------Is it much more effort to convert the approach to other aircraft types????
---------- ADS -----------
 
NovaBoy
Rank 4
Rank 4
Posts: 290
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:36 pm
Location: down east

Post by NovaBoy »

I've flown a couple of RNP approaches into YLW and it is awesome, when the weather is crappy and RWY 34 is the active we will be the only ones getting in.
---------- ADS -----------
 
Post Reply

Return to “WestJet”