Flight Training in Canada

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

prash90
Rank 0
Rank 0

Flight Training in Canada

Post by prash90 »

Hey guys

I am from India and planning to do my CPL and other ratings from Canada. Please guide me in choosing a good flying school, i already consulted Victoria flying club, Ottawa aviation services, Moncton flight college and Brampton flight centre.

Each one is offering professional pilot package at different pricing
Victoria $33000
Ottawa $75000
Moncton $56000
Brampton $50000

Not have to be from the above schools. Please give me your valuable guidance and how are the job prospects after doing this course??
will i get to work as a instructor after this and build up my hours? I am ready to work hard and dedicate myself to get in to commercial fixed wing flying. I don't have anyone to talk to in Canada. Kindly help me regarding this!!!

Thank you
---------- ADS -----------

Cessna driver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Flight Training in Canada

Post by Cessna driver »

prash90 wrote:Hey guys

I am from India and planning to do my CPL and other ratings from Canada. Please guide me in choosing a good flying school, i already consulted Victoria flying club, Ottawa aviation services, Moncton flight college and Brampton flight centre.

Each one is offering professional pilot package at different pricing
Victoria $33000
Ottawa $75000
Moncton $56000
Brampton $50000

Not have to be from the above schools. Please give me your valuable guidance and how are the job prospects after doing this course??
will i get to work as a instructor after this and build up my hours? I am ready to work hard and dedicate myself to get in to commercial fixed wing flying. I don't have anyone to talk to in Canada. Kindly help me regarding this!!!

Thank you

Keep in mind those are likely based on bare minimum prices, and will likely be higher,

Without actually looking each one up they probably dont include an instructor rating which will be an additional ~$10 000

First jobs are tough to get, work a ramp in the mean time or job at the school

Search the forum, everything people will say has been posted numerous times over.

prash90
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by prash90 »

Thanks man!

Krimson
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Krimson »

You also won't be able to get a job as an instructor unless you have the right to work in Canada.

RonReynolds
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RonReynolds »

Krimson wrote:You also won't be able to get a job as an instructor unless you have the right to work in Canada.
That really isn't to hard to get for a graduate of a program. They usually will be given a Post Graduate Work Permit (PGWPP) for a year or longer in some cases. The real challenge is getting job in the field. As I'm sure many of you can attest too.

There can be significant issues in maintaining the right to work following the expiry of the PWGPP so that is really what a prospective student should consider. Firstly can they get and job and secondly will they be able to continue to work after a year.

Recent changes in the Work Permit/Study Permit programs now allow for students to work on campus ( this was the norm) and off campus as well while in training. This change might make it more attractive for students to afford training in Canada as they can pick up part time work to assist to cost of living while here.

Last edited by RonReynolds on Sat Jul 19, 2014 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ron Reynolds
CFI,PE - SkyQuest Aviation Ltd.
Langley,BC (CYNJ)
prash90
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by prash90 »

Thank you so much for the information sir!!

gaamin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gaamin »

Last edited by gaamin on Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
timel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by timel »

Recent changes in the Work Permit/Study Permit programs now allow for students to work on campus ( this was the norm) and off campus as well while in training. This change might make it more attractive for students to afford training in Canada as they can pick up part time work to assist to cost of living while here.
Good to hear!

Work permit is definitely the first thing to figure out.

Also I have heard so many horror stories of students with work permits on campus. Make sure you can move away, have a lever to negotiate your conditions and work else where if you want to. You don't deserve your job to some pricks who figured out a visa for you and by the same means deserve your entire gratitude.

Capt.Nemo
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Capt.Nemo »

Email me or pm me.

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Plane rental in Canada is very expensive. $100+ per hour Hobbs time. However this is your lucky day. For a deposit* of $79900 US. You can fly my C-172 for $5 per week plus fuel and oil costs.

This is an incredible deal and a limited time offer.

Here is a link to photos of the plane**. http://www.controller.com/listingsdetai ... 332267.htm

Be careful. Not everyone in Canada is nice and trustworthy like me. Some will offer you things that are not a good value at best or even a total scam in some cases.

* deposits are payable in cash, small unmarked bills and non-refundable.
** actual plane may vary.

Mmittal
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Mmittal »

Hey Prash, as an instructor with a similar background, I can offer some insight into the matter.

More important than any immigration paperwork is the amount of effort you put into your education and your performance at the flight school you have selected. Good numbers, a good reputation and a clean/safe flying record will do more for you than which school you have selected.

Regards to the immigration itself, it is fairly straightforward as long as you keep you paperwork/red-tape in order. The order goes Study Permit (with part time 20 hour employment), Post Graduation Work Permit (this will be given for the same time period as your course of study) followed by residency under the Canadian Experienced Class if you have worked for more than an year.

However, this is the most efficient route in my experience. However, again I reiterate, you have to earn the spot for yourself, CFI's/employers are under no obligation to give you a job at the end of your training. That is completely dependent on your image.

Flight Instructor
Skyquest Aviation Ltd.
Langley Regional Airport
schidt
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by schidt »

Hello all,

Sorry for revisiting this old thread. Mmittal, do you mind if you tell us about your background a little?

Specifically:
-how long was the program in your flight school? was it an integrated one?
-do you need a job offer first before you can apply for the PGWP?

I'm asking this because if you scroll all the way down in the "flight instructor" section on "http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/ ... t-grad.asp", it says

Flight instructors who meet either of the following criteria may be issued work permits under the PGWPP. In order to be eligible, applicants must:

-have completed a flight training course at a Canadian training centre and have obtained a Canadian commercial pilot’s licence; and
-have obtained, or be in the process of obtaining, an instructor’s rating and have received an offer of employment as a flight instructor from a flight training centre.

Applicants providing either of the above documents may be issued a post-graduation work permit valid for three years if the flight-training course was at least two years. Applicants whose course of study is between eight months and two years will be issued a post-graduation work permit valid for the length of the program. Flight training courses under eight months do not qualify a student for a post-graduation work permit. For additional details on flight schools regulated by Transport Canada, refer to the Department's website.

At one part it says "and" which I'm assuming you need both a job offer + instructor's rating + CPL, but the other part says "either" which I'm assuming it's a CPL OR (Job offer + instructor's rating), hence the confusion. Any help would be much appreciated! :prayer:

upintheair_
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by upintheair_ »

never mind didn't realize this was a resurrect.

sentinel1207
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by sentinel1207 »

Don't worry dude! I know plenty of international students who have successfully gained permanent residents in Canada after their flight training program.It'll be incredibly beneficial if you plan to do a diploma in aviation instead of traditional training since CIC will consider it as an academic post-secondary program of 2 years.But I will advise you to not stress on immigration too much.Just chill,focus on your flight training,be a guy with personality and if you want to be an instructor,do it for the sake of you wanting to teach students,not to build hours.Get accustomed to the Canadian way of life,values and bring the positives from your culture and I bet you can easily fit in and become a Canadian :wink: cheers mate

mdyshaik786
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mdyshaik786 »

Capt.Nemo wrote:Email me or pm me.
Hi greetings Captain Nemo , I too am indian graduate in field of pathology , but by the time , i valued my dreams or dream profession , i endd p working as a sales coordinator for a surgical equipment's marketing firm's sales coordinator in KSA , by the way as i am now 25 , i am confused in between career colleges catering degree or diploma programs , or else local flight schools who focus on ratings , flying hours and then a considerable amount of ground school hours too , so this far i have been through knowing about career Colleges & universities as Waterlooo , western Ontario , Seneca , Sheridan , spectrum , sault, confed .

And on the other hand have also gone through Canadian flight center , Brant ford flying club , Brampton flight center , harvs steinbach , GFT , pacific flying club , all out of these have screwed me deep in in my mind , so i now am horribly confused which to choose from , what job will i be getting , if i complete my training and ratings from local flight schools and centers and what job will i be getting if i opt for career colleges and or universities , basically i have wasted half of my youth in this trash field of pathology , so if i opt for career colleges then i have already a degree , now from job point of view , i have heard the top notch airlines are picking :rolleyes: up grads from career colleges not local flight schools or centers , then what to choose from ???

mdyshaik786
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by mdyshaik786 »

sentinel1207 wrote:Don't worry dude! I know plenty of international students who have successfully gained permanent residents in Canada after their flight training program.It'll be incredibly beneficial if you plan to do a diploma in aviation instead of traditional training since CIC will consider it as an academic post-secondary program of 2 years.But I will advise you to not stress on immigration too much.Just chill,focus on your flight training,be a guy with personality and if you want to be an instructor,do it for the sake of you wanting to teach students,not to build hours.Get accustomed to the Canadian way of life,values and bring the positives from your culture and I bet you can easily fit in and become a Canadian :wink: cheers mate

JungianJugular
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JungianJugular »

prash90, I know an Indian national who was in the same situation as you. He's now flying right seat on the Metroliner in Northern Ontario. PM me and I'll try to connect you two. He is an extremely nice guy who I don't think will have an issue offering you any guidance/advice.

Return to “Flight Training”