AVCANADA

It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 7:32 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Cornwall Aviation
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:33 am 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Whats this place like to do an IFR renewal? How long does it generally take. I'm thinking about this place because its the closest place around me that has a DFTE (i) on staff. Opinions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:06 am 
Top Poster
Top Poster

They have a really good reputation, and two Seminoles, so one down for maintenance doesn't shut the multi side of the school down.

Note however that they have had some instructor turnover lately, and I've been told that the quality there isn't as high as it used to be - one guy complained to me that he was being milked for hours.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:58 am 
Rank 7
Rank 7

i did my ifr initial, and a buddy did his ifr renewal there... had no problems what so ever, staff is freindly and professional, the dfte Mr. F. is extremely friendly and fun to fly with... This was going back to January 2005, so I doubt it has changed that much since then...

Post subject: Re: Cornwall Aviation
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:12 pm 
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

seiger wrote:
Whats this place like to do an IFR renewal? How long does it generally take. I'm thinking about this place because its the closest place around me that has a DFTE (i) on staff. Opinions?

Excellent place. You can practice until you are ready for your renewal ride. Keep in mind there is no recommend from any instructor to renew you rating, so you can do the flight test whenever you feel is best. I know some that have just walked in, did their flight test right away on their Seminole and that was that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 6:25 pm 
Top Poster
Top Poster

Good stuff from what I've heard.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 7:07 pm 
Rank 3
Rank 3

Renewed my IFR for under a grand in '03. I imagine the instructors are all new since I went there but the DFTE is very fair. He's also well aware that pilots aren't made of money, so we wasted no time whatsoever running up the Hobbs unnecessarily. PM me if you want more details.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:14 am 
Rank 2
Rank 2

It's a good place if you want an almost guaranteed renewal - I would NOT recommend this place to do your initial. If you're in the biz and just need to bang off a quick renewal then this is the place.

You'll go to CYMX shoot a vectored NDB to MDA, the DFTE will give you MAP instructions for a vectored ILS and you'll overshoot from that back to Cornwall. On the way back you'll be asked to tune in the MSS VOR and center the neede TO. Then you'll be given a hold on your present radial and asked which entry you WOULD use if you were issued a PRESENT RADIAL at X DME (Direct Entry) but you'll never be asked to actually enter the hold. The flight is done in VFR conditions (DFTE acts as your ATC).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:44 am 
Rank 1
Rank 1

Thanks everyone for your input. Much appreciated

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:48 am 
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

The DFTE in question was my boss in 78. He was damned good at it then. He has been in his present locale for 25 years. He's a known commodity to ATC, and the area instructors.

Accordingly the area instructors will know what he expects to see. The aircraft will be ready in all respects for the ride. Your training will be conducted along thoise lines.

Have fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 10:57 pm 
Rank 0
Rank 0

Very friendly people.. I was willing to travel over 1 hour to get there. I used to come all the way from Brockville. Very clear and understood lessons. However I was only there for one day because I got offered a job in yellowknife the same day I started my training.

But all was good, affordable, and it could have been done really quickly
KD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:01 pm 
Rank 2
Rank 2

I did a renewal with the CFI, Mr. F....No sweat. As someone else said, and I agree, it is a great place to do a renewal. I did not do my initial with him, so I am not sure if he is a little tougher on you when he knows it is your first ride. I know many people who did their training at the Ottawa Flying Club but would drive out to Cornwall to do their ride with Mr. F. It was worth the drive to avoid doing a ride with OFC's EX-CFI, G.T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:41 pm 
Rank 1
Rank 1

well i did the renewal and it was really good. I have to agree with everyone tha GF is an amazing examiner. my flight went alittle different then what was posted. full loc, full ils, vor/dme hold. I'd suggest that anyone needing a quick renewal do it at cornwall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2005 11:49 am 
Rank 3
Rank 3

I did my Class 1 IFR ride with Mr. F and had a great time...very relaxed and had a good chat with him on our way back to CYCC from YOW