AVCANADA

It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:19 am

All times are UTC-07:00

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:04 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Does anyone know if there are any Flight Schools in Yellowknife? I have searched a bit on the web, and only ones I found in the north that are still operating are Yukon Fight Training in Whitehorse, NW Air Lease, and Big River Air in Fort Smith. Anyone have any comments on these ones?

I am just looking in general to see if there are any flight schools that do ab initio in the NWT or Nunavut (doubt there are any in NU). Yukon would be okay too. I am compiling some informatino for a group of high school students up north who are interested in possibly learning to fly, and they would prefer to stay in the north to do their training. I haven't been able to find anythin in Yellowknife, and I thought for sure there would be something there.

Thanks in advance.
-wp

Post subject: Big River Air
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:55 am 
Rank 5
Rank 5

The only one I know of is in Fort Smith. Big River Air's phone number is 867-872-3030. When I worked there, we did a feasibility study on operating a satellite school in "the knife", but deemed it to be too costly. I know if a school opened in Yellowknife, they would do OK however we had to look at the ferrying costs etc... and that was what made it un-feasible.

So, if you're up to an 8 hour drive (in good weather) I'm sure you could do some training in Fort Smith.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:00 am 
Rank 6
Rank 6

Ursus is planning to open up a school in the blade. I know they have a 172 maule on floats and an aztec they plan on using. Also, theres a local private cherokee 140 available for rent along with a 185 on floats as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:04 pm 
Rank 3
Rank 3

Big River Air no longer does any flight training since the last batch of students graduated last winter.

Only other FTU I know of "up North" is in Fort McMurray, Ab with McMurray Aviation, but they do mostly charters and as of 1 week ago they are down to only one 172.

Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 21, 2005 2:52 pm 
Rank 4
Rank 4

Location: North of somewhere and south of everything to the north
What about Tutchone Air in Whitehorse? Not sure if they are still around or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:13 am 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

I am pretty sure Tutchone is no longer a going concern. their website seems to be u/s.