Unusual Event

Topics related to accidents, incidents & over due aircraft should be placed in this forum.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Unusual Event

Post by pelmet »

C-GENK, a WestJet Encore DHC-8-400, was operating as flight WEN3125 from Edmonton
(CYEG), AB to Kelowna (CYLW), BC. During the take-off roll an unknown alarm sounded. The
flight crew rejected the takeoff and declared a MAYDAY emergency as per SOP, and subsequently
cancelled the emergency while taxiing off the runway. The aircraft then departed uneventfully on
the second attempt.
Upon further inspection by the flight crew, the unknown alarm was coming from a cellular
telephone.
---------- ADS -----------

JHR
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Unusual Event

Post by JHR »

I had an Amber alert siren on my phone during takeoff once. That will get your attention!

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

I am so opposed to the apparent reality that the amber alerts cannot be disabled by the owner of the phone! I nearly had a T bone car accident (which would have been my fault) because I was distracted by an Amber alert tone at the wrong moment at t stop sign!

I would eagerly support a community effort to petition for the opportunity to opt out, if I knew where to put my support!

I spent 28 years as a volunteer firefighter, carrying a pager the fire department paid for, so I could respond to public calls for assistance. I have retired from that, and feel that I have met an obligation for community service. I vigorously object to the phone I pay for being use for the same purpose without my permission!

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

PilotDAR wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 8:14 am I am so opposed to the apparent reality that the amber alerts cannot be disabled by the owner of the phone! I nearly had a T bone car accident (which would have been my fault) because I was distracted by an Amber alert tone at the wrong moment at t stop sign!

I would eagerly support a community effort to petition for the opportunity to opt out, if I knew where to put my support!

I spent 28 years as a volunteer firefighter, carrying a pager the fire department paid for, so I could respond to public calls for assistance. I have retired from that, and feel that I have met an obligation for community service. I vigorously object to the phone I pay for being use for the same purpose without my permission!
A bit of a stop gap: you can't disable the alerts unless you hack/root your own phone, but some (most?) phones allow you to change the sound of the alerts. If you change the sound to an empty or silent audio sound, at least that will prevent the heart attack moments. The alerts will still annoyingly appear on your phone, but no sound.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
shamrock104
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by shamrock104 »

It appears that this was handled well.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I only get those stupid amber alerts at 3 am when I’m trying to sleep. :x

Let’s Go Brandon
matt foley
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by matt foley »

OP: If one must ask themselves "What the hell is that?" and reject is an option, then reject one shall. Good decision and SOP discipline!

As to the Amber Alert thread drift, if it was your child or loved one or those of anyone you know then would it bother you so much that some people are mildly inconvenienced? If this alert is such a life altering event for you then your narcissism and singular focus on what's best for you is off the charts. Most would take the alert as a sense of security knowing that someone gives a shit about someone who needs help.

MF

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

matt foley wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:56 am As to the Amber Alert thread drift, if it was your child or loved one or those of anyone you know then would it bother you so much that some people are mildly inconvenienced?
Absolutely! An emergency alert is only effective if it's not being abused. What do you expect, that I will go drive around in my car in the middle of the night and go look for a grey 2008 F150 driving around 300 miles from where I live?

Piss people off with irrelevant alerts, and they won't pay attention to one when it could matter. And don't send me stuff on my phone that I can't switch off. That's a basic courtesy.

Canada is abusing presidential alerts to send out amber alerts and tornado warnings. Ridiculous.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I agree. They sent me one relating to something 600km away from where I live. Totally irrelevant. All it does is anger people and the whole “boy who cried wolf” mentality applies.

Let’s Go Brandon
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Absolutely! An emergency alert is only effective if it's not being abused. What do you expect, that I will go drive around in my car in the middle of the night and go look for a grey 2008 F150 driving around 300 miles from where I live?

Piss people off with irrelevant alerts, and they won't pay attention to one when it could matter. And don't send me stuff on my phone that I can't switch off. That's a basic courtesy.

Canada is abusing presidential alerts to send out amber alerts and tornado warnings. Ridiculous.
Completely agreed! I spent 28 years as a firefighter getting up at all hours to help the public when they called with their emergency. If amber alert wants to send me a text with just a text tone, that's okay. I don't object to getting the message, I object to the alarming tone, and the presupposition that a phone I pay for is making loud tones I cannot control.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

My sympathy to the chief pilot who has to figure out what exactly the company memo is going to say.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I love how any other company gets named but when it's Westjet, Pelmet just adds an ambiguous title.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

co-joe wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:39 pm I love how any other company gets named but when it's Westjet, Pelmet just adds an ambiguous title.
Gotta protect the blue and teal :roll:

Were you the one whining about something similar before?

Upcoming new thread…….Another Non-Westjet Flight has an Incident :rolleyes:.

Looks like my last thread had an ambiguous title….
viewtopic.php?t=209758

Confirmed as typical by a search as well. Where do they get these people from?

Return to “Accidents, Incidents & Overdue Aircraft”