AVCANADA

It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:12 am

All times are UTC-07:00

Post subject: Toronto Airways.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:16 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Hello everyone. Can anyone give me some info about training at Toronto Airways please? Is it a good FTU? Bad?

Any info will be much appreciated.

Thanks

T01

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 5:57 am 
Rank 0
Rank 0

As with any flight school - it depends on which instructor you fly with. Some are good some not so good. Good things - CFI is a great guy, busy airport so lots of good experiences in a controlled environment, TC on site, flight test examiners on site, no ferry. Bad points - older aircraft, Toronto prices, stressful learning environmet on busy days (controllers while excellent can lose their temper), Druxy's is nasty, a lot of HUGE aviation nerds seem to hang out there and talk about how great they piloted their C-150 in a 2 knot cross wind.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2004 7:34 am 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

LOL, thanks tequesta. I was considering T.A for my Multi Engine Rating, since they operate the good old Seminole (cheaper than the Aztec) and I live 8 clicks from Buttonville. Don't know if I would do my CPL there, it all depends how I like this place.

Cheers

T01 :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:51 am 
Rank 0
Rank 0

Tango- I'm good friends with the guy that does most of the multi flying at YKZ. You will be in very good hands !!! And TAL lets you rent the seminole solo following the issue of your rating. None of this 50 hour PIC BS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:57 am 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Call Durham Flight Center their Aztruck is cheaper than the Seminole at Buttonhole. Also you can get a good class one instructor for about 20 dollars per hour cheaper. Worth the drive to YOO if you ask me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 10:51 am 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Canadian Flyers at Markham operate an inexpensive Seminole($220), and they are close to Buttonville. They will rent it to you solo, and the aerodrome is uncontrolled so you don't spend much time on the ground watching the Hobbs turn. I finished my last student out of Markham in about 7hrs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:48 pm 
Rank 6
Rank 6

You asked about TAL. First I do not work for them or any other flying school. TAL has an enthusiastic group of instructors most are good at what they do. I do know that they are trying to get better and the CFI is working hard at improving the school. Why don't you go to the school and talk to him. You will be plesantly surprised at his attitude. Also anybody who is underpay there class one does not deserve the business.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:53 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Who said anything about the class one being underpaid? I just said the school costs for the class one were 20 dollars cheaper per hour. How much does a class one make 24 per hour? It's the cut the school takes that adds the cost, the class one still gets paid going rate! Why pay a flight school $65.00 per hour if the guy is still only getting $24.00?

Last edited by N2 on Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:09 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Navajo? I heard some guy in CYKZ was screwing people over with the training. I know this for a fact Is it TAL???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:37 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Nope it's not Toronto Airways...sorry was thinking of someone else.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 7:44 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

The guy with the Navajo is NextJet. You pay a s**tload for training and then get to fly is cargo around. You, of course, are not paid for your flying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 4:06 am 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Mahat Macoat or was it Whodat Pilot?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 6:34 pm 
Rank 6
Rank 6

For N2 a class one makes up to $40.00 per hour unless he is so stupid that he allows himself to get paid less. AS for the Guy in KZ selling PA31 PPC's he is out of business there was a lock on his propeller and he moved out last week. MCRIT the other operation that uses a C310 and a PA31 pays there Co Pilots ( not much ) but better than giving away free ground briefings as an instructor. If anybody wants to here the real scope on this PM me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:04 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

What flight school pays their class one $40.00 per hour? None of the class ones that I know make that kind of coin.

Last edited by N2 on Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:21 pm 
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Freelance class ones with some IFR experience can make $40/hour, if not more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:24 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Right Seat, he said a flight school paying a class one $40.00 per hour of which I know none that pay that kind of coin. Perhaps freelance you can but I doubt any flight school would pay that. Most I ever paid for a class one freelance was $30.00 and that was tax free money for him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:30 pm 
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Sorry, I didn't check that far back, I thought we were talking about class 1s in general. In that case I'd have to agree that usually a class 1 in a flight school wouldn't be paid that much. But going back to freelance, I believe if the instructor had significant actual IFR experience and real commercial operation experience, they would easily be worth $40 or $50 per hour. However this experience is very rare amongst Canadian Instructors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2004 8:09 pm 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Why are we talking about Class 1 Instructors. All I asked was if Toronto Airways was a good place for me to do my Multi-Engine Rating. That's all people!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:22 am 
Rank 6
Rank 6

Tango01

Talk to the CFI's of the different schools and make a plan. Mind you by the time you do all that you could have a rating.

As for rates of pay These gentlemen might not be up to speed on everyones contracts with a school.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 5:14 am 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Still looking for a name of a school that pays their class one 40 per hour.

Tango you asked is a good place to do your multi, yes and no. It's an alright school, not the best but certainly not the worst.

I am not an instructor so I have no personal interest in TAL's financial gains by directing someone there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:17 am 
Rank 6
Rank 6

N2

Sorry I'm the guy that get more than $40 per hour and I'm not looking for more students. Also maybe you guys who are so concerned about the cut a school makes should figure out what the real costs are to operate and run a good school. Don't forget to add in the cost of all the photocopying the staff does so as not to pay for manuals etc. TAL is a good place so are the rest of them just find a friendly face who doesn't want to rip you off for the multi time. You might even find someone who has a little more experience than 2 hours in thin cloud!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:41 am 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

So what's the conclusion?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:15 am 
Rank 11
Rank 11

You're going to pay a whack of cash no matter where you go..

Does it matter if you spend $100 commuting to check out the Chunsa :P @ CNC3(Brampton)?
Does it matter if you save $100 commuting to CYOO?
Does it matter if you'll pay an extra 100$ to go to CYKZ??

You'll get identical ratings from any school.

What's your flavour what do you want?

One instructor will take you up for an extra .2 hobbs, another will give long winded ground briefs? One is a hottie.

In the end you'll have a rating..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 12:42 pm 
Rank 6
Rank 6

CYYZ is right the rating is the same but you should have fun doing it so find a hunk or Hottie as per your preference you might be a lady and rock and roll.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:01 am 
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Wasn't me: Sorry about the mix up with the PA31 PPC guy. I got my info second hand, (I should have known better). As for people trying to make a bit of cash by posting here, who cares? If someone is looking for an instructor or school, why not reccommend yourself? If you have an aviation product to sell, why not let the GA community know about it through this site? (Consider it a press release). It's not as though anyone is flooding the board with spam.
As to the free ground briefing stuff, there has to be a happy medium. If you intended to nickle and dime your students to death, you will find yourself spending a lot of time on the ground. If you are willing to cut a deal, where everybody gets what they need, then everybody (yourself included), gets ahead.

Last edited by mcrit on Thu Oct 21, 2010 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.