SATOPs - Please help my research

This forum has been developed to discuss Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service topics.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, North Shore, Rudder Bug

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

SATOPs - Please help my research

Post by Widow »

---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Widow on Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former Advocate for Floatplane Safety
CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

I took a crack at some of the information... Hope that helps! :wink:

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

Thank you very much CD.

Here is what disturbs me when I go over what you or I have found in regard to the recommendations (I have yet to post some of what I've found btw).

Almost everything they have done has had to do with paper. If the recommendation actually required leaving the office, little or nothing seems to have been done.

For me, the most striking part of SATOPs, was:
Non-compliance with the regulations was thought to occur more frequently in areas removed from main airports where inspectors are less likely to conduct random inspections. There is also the perception that regulatory compliance is not applied uniformly among operators and that some operators have an obvious disregard for the regulations but Transport Canada is either unaware or chooses to overlook this.
When you add "Transport Canada was also criticized for not conducting follow up of audit findings", "Air Taxi operators and pilots feel that air carrier inspectors do not have the appropriate background to understand VFR issues and issues that are specific to certain operations or regions" and "The attitude of some Transport Canada air carrier inspectors was criticized as being arrogant and uncooperative" then you have a really scarey situation.

How do you "instill a culture of safety" into this environment without adhering to the recommended changes? Paper is not going to work.

Cat Driver
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Cat Driver »

How do you "instill a culture of safety" into this environment without adhering to the recommended changes?
You can't.

The hardest thing about flying is knowing when to say no

After over a half a century of flying no one ever died because of my decision not to fly.
CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

Certainly, I think that it is easiest to find the documented stuff - whether it's procedures, guidance or just plain old "paper"... The harder thing to locate will be the policy or changes in philosophy recommended. For instance, have there been hiring practice changes where folks with more (or actual) industry experience are being employed by TC? Perhaps the new e-Recruitment Process is addressing some of that? I don't know where you would go to determine those demographics...

Remote areas will likely always be more difficult to access but I think that the establishment of the regional Transport Canada Centres was intended to address some of those issues as well. I would suspect that putting some inspectors closer to the operators in the field and getting them out of the downtown office towers likely had a positive effect where those TCCs are located (there have been several positive comments on here about Hamilton, for instance, as compared to 4900 Young). Again, I don't know if there is any direct link that can be drawn...

I don't recall if it was mentioned in the report, but I think that I told you once before that I participated in the SATOPS process when they came to Thompson, Manitoba. Of all the operators that were based out of Thompson and other areas of central/northern Manitoba at the time, do you know how many made the effort to show-up and express their concerns? Two. Myself, and the "mom" of a mom-and-pop, single aircraft operation (I seem to recall she was from The Pas). To say that I was quite disappointed with the lack of interest in industry safety that was evident by the non-attendance would be an understatement. Which probably all goes back to some of the observations made by Snoopy and carholme...

I have to believe that we'll manage to get there in the end... it's just seems to me to be taking an awful long time... in my ever so humble opinion, of course.

You need to fix the organization and systems problems,
Before you can be successful with training programs,
To fix the pilot performance problems.
Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

I think it's the disinterested or disjointed approach that keeps things from moving forward quickly. Transport has no motivation, since we have "one of the safest aviation systems in the world".

If you have an active lobby group (like a union or a professional association), working on your behalf, you are relatively well protected from things like pay inadequacies, getting fired for reporting safety issues, "personality" problems with government officials, etc. Even an ombudsman would help.

Those not directly affected are not interested, or find the issues too complicated to understand. As long as people just complain but don't do anything (like take their views to the Hill as DaxAir did), and join their voices together, then there is no motivation to improve.

Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

This is from the Project Background:
TP 13158 - SATOPS - Final Report > The Project

Background

Concern about the large number of accidents in the Air Taxi industry motivated Transport Canada to initiate the SATOPS project. Relative to Airline and Commuter operations, Air Taxi aircraft are involved in the vast majority of accidents each year. Transport Canada System Safety generates an annual Canadian Aviation Safety Statistics report based on Transportation Safety Board accident statistics. The reports from 1990 to 1995 revealed that the number of accidents had not decreased and the number of fatal accidents had increased.

The following graph illustrates the proportion of Air Taxi accidents relative to the total number of accidents in commercial operations during 1990 - 1995. The first column in each year represents the total number of accidents in all commercial operations. The second column represents the number of helicopter and fixed-wing Air Taxi accidents. The third column represents the number of helicopter accidents (included in the second column) for comparison purposes. In 1990, 82% of all commercial aircraft accidents involved Air Taxi aircraft, 83% in 1991, 69% in 1992, 72% in 1993, and 79% in 1994 and 1995.

The following tables show the number of fatal accidents and fatalities in Air Taxi operations and the percentage relative to the total number of fatal accidents and fatalities in all commercial operations for fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters from 1990 through 1995.

FATAL ACCIDENTS AND FATALITIES - FIXED WING AIRCRAFT

* Excluding the accident in Saudi Arabia that claimed 261 lives.

FATAL ACCIDENTS AND FATALITIES - HELICOPTERS

Unfortunately, it is not possible to determine the accident rate for Air Taxi operations since statistics are not available for the number of flight hours or the number of aircraft movements (take-offs and landings). Air Taxi operators are not required to track this information. A reduction in the number of flight hours could have been the reason for an improved accident record in 1992 and 1993.

Without relevant data, it is very difficult to determine where the majority of accidents occur. This data is required in order to identify areas to commit resources for accident prevention programs. Increasing regulation was not considered to be the solution to reducing the accident rate. Disregard for established regulations was cited by the Transportation Safety Board in many of the Air Taxi accident reports. Transport Canada believes that there is a culture or attitude of accepted operating practices that has developed over the years in Air Taxi operations. The Task Force's objective was to propose ways to improve the accident record by identifying the culture, attitudes, problems and safety practices in Air Taxi operations.

Air Taxi operations involve more than just transporting passengers or cargo and are not generally conducted from paved runways. Lakes, ice and snow-covered surfaces, eskers and tundra are typical "runways". Helicopters operate in confined and remote areas that are otherwise inaccessible by air. Aerial spraying, surveying, waterbombing or waterbucketting forest fires, helilogging, heliskiing, and carrying or slinging external loads are examples of Air Taxi operations.

There is considerable competition in the Air Taxi industry as a result of deregulation. Any company able to meet the Transport Canada regulatory requirements can be authorized to operate. This creates significant pressure on air operators, especially smaller operators, to compete for a limited number of clients and contracts. Compounding this is the limited time that operators and pilots have to make money. The majority of hours flown each year occur in the spring through fall when the days are longer and the weather is generally favourable. The tourist industry generates a substantial amount of business for Air Taxi operators who can serve the needs of fishermen and hunters. Geological exploration increases when the ground is more accessible to specific types of field work.

A fixed-wing pilot's first job is usually with an Air Taxi operator where he gains experience before moving on to larger aircraft with commuter companies or the major airlines. Remote working locations and low wages make it difficult to attract highly qualified people. Pilot turnover is high, especially when the economy is strong and the airlines are hiring. Helicopter pilots working in the Air Taxi industry generally have more experience since the opportunity for advancement to airline-type operations is not available. Nonetheless, inexperienced helicopter pilots face the same problem as inexperienced fixed-wing pilots. Clients expect that the pilot will be able to perform any task required of the job. This expectation places subtle and sometimes overt pressure on the pilot that can lead to poor decision making.
So here is my question ... has any of this changed?

Are air taxi's now required to report on flight hours and movements so that accident rates can be accurately determined?

"Disregard for established regulations was cited by the Transportation Safety Board in many of the Air Taxi accident reports. Transport Canada believes that there is a culture or attitude of accepted operating practices that has developed over the years in Air Taxi operations. "

It seems to me this "culture of disregard" still exists. If there is a "culture of disregard", how is SMS going to affect this? Will there be an improvement, or will it result (as many of us believe) in an increase in incidents/accidents for the air taxi sector?

Does anyone out there have any info to share (PM me if you like) about the results of the "DMR Report" - the air taxi review which was to be produced on September 12, 2001? (See this thread: http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?t=31422).

Does anyone have any info to share about the air taxi review which, according to Merlin Preuss in his letter to me dated January 29, 2007:

"The success of SATOPS was also recently confirmed following a review of the air taxi sector from before SATOPS to the present day. The review demonstrated that the new accident analysis techniques are effective in helping to understand and communicate the dynamic set of events, actions and conditions that result in accidents. The data gathered from this review will now be analyzed to develop tools and procedures that inspectors and managers can use to identify risks so that measures can be taken to prevent accidents and incidents."

I'm assuming this was the review which was called after the Pacific Region had a REALLY bad couple of years (including the year of CGAQW, 2005).

I am going to be trying to use Access to Information, so any tidbits of info could be really useful in ensuring I get the "whole package".

Anyone (like CD) involved as an operator in the SATOPS process and who might be willing to share with me what the experience was like, what their expectations were, and how they feel about the results?

carholme
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by carholme »

I fail to understand how they can say that there is no way of gathering the flight times per aircraft. Once a year we have to file an AAIR Annual Aircraft Inspection Report which lists the hours flown for the last year. The data was available to them at the time SATOPS was written so there is no room for that kind of excuse in responding to questions today.

CD is correct about the lethargy that exists about safety but it also exists in TC. It is fair to create rules and nicely worded paperwork but TC needs to return to being an agency which interacts with the operators in an effort to develop cultural change willingly, not by mandate, to better understand the economic burden of some of their rules and rule interpretation. What is the sense of Enforcement if they cannot given a budget which allows them to do their job, etc., etc.

carholme

snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

According to ICAO, one of the critical elements of the audit is to examine the regulatory oversight structure, which is supposed to include adequate budget!

3.3 Critical element 3 — State civil aviation system and safety oversight functions The establishment of a civil aviation authority (CAA) and/or other relevant authorities or government agencies, headed by a Chief Executive Officer, supported by the appropriate and adequate technical and non-technical staff and provided with adequate financial resources. The State authority must have stated safety regulatory functions, objectives and safety policies.

Regarding lack of statistics, one of the requirements of our operating license is statistical reporting - Stats Canada, under a data sharing agreement with Transport Canada and the CTA. Every year we fill out a form detailing our number of hours flown and revenue earned. Surely some useful information as to the state of the Air Taxi industry could be collected annually from this data.

“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart
Widow
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by Widow »

snoopy wrote:Regarding lack of statistics, one of the requirements of our operating license is statistical reporting - Stats Canada, under a data sharing agreement with Transport Canada and the CTA. Every year we fill out a form detailing our number of hours flown and revenue earned. Surely some useful information as to the state of the Air Taxi industry could be collected annually from this data.
Any idea how long the "data sharing agreement" has been in place? Did reporting requirements change during/after SATOPs?

"Before 1999, flight training services were classified as air taxi but are now classified in the private/corporate/state aeroplane category. " (Source: http://www.tc.gc.ca/pol/en/report/anre2 ... aba417.htm)

"Before 1999, helicopters involved in accidents were not consistently classified into commuter or air taxi operations." (Source: http://www.tsb.gc.ca/en/stats/air/2005/ ... int_view=1)

snoopy
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by snoopy »

Hi Widow,
Don't know but I will phone the number on the letter and find out. The one thing I noticed is the data collection appears to be related to revenue earned, not which division of the CARS the company falls under. For example, we are classed as a Level V carrier - the definition for Level V is: those that, in each of the two years preceding the reporting year, derived gross revenues of less than $1,000,000 from their licensed air services (OMG, I just admitted we made less than a mil :oops: :D ). They do differentiate between Unit Toll (scheduled) and Charter Services.

Not to say that the data collection people couldn't modify their thinking slightly to include realistic statistics....

Cheers,
Snoopy

“Never interrupt someone doing something you said couldn’t be done.” Amelia Earhart

Return to “Bush Flying & Specialty Air Service”